PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sloooooooooow internet/firefox

fidelandche
August 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hi,

My partners laptop is appearing very slow, when you click on firefox the browser opens quickly, but when you type in an address it will respond in about 0.36 seconds, but the problem is this when you click on the link it takes ages to display the web page. It can be pages like Ebay, this forum etc, if you click on a link to say post a thread(like on this forum) it will take a long time to display, so you end up either re-clicking on the link or refreshing the page. I have cleared all private data on firefox, but this has not improved the performance much. I am so used to windows that I am unsure of what to do now. In windows you could also do a check disk, clean up disk and a defrag and all these would improve performance. Can you do any thing of the same in Ubuntu? If not what else is there I can do to improve the performance of firefox?

Many thanks

WinterMadness
August 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
In my experience, firefox on linux is actually quite bad with this. it does the same thing to me on any computer i use.

try getting opera or epiphany
opera:www.opera.com
epiphany: sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser

MyR
August 13th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I also use & love opera. The new opera 10 beta is excellent.

You could also try installing the latest firefox (3.5)

checkdisk: linux does a fsck (file system check) every ~30 boots automatically ;]
defrag: linux file systems do not fragment ;]

peace

fooman
August 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
try creating a new mozilla profile without any added plugins/themes....see if it works any better.

first close any instances of firefox that are open.

next, open your home folder (places > home folder). when it opens, click on view in the toolbar and put a check next to "show hidden files", then scroll down in the home folder and find the .mozilla folder...

right click on it and choose "rename"....rename it .mozilla.bkup

close nautilus and then try firefox again (this will create a new .mozilla folder with a new profile)...see if its any better.

you can get your old firefox settings back by deleting the new .mozilla folder and renaming .mozilla.bkup to .mozilla

hope that helps.

wojox
August 13th, 2009, 12:35 AM
When in doubt tweak it out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

lovinglinux
August 13th, 2009, 04:16 AM
try creating a new mozilla profile without any added plugins/themes....see if it works any better.

first close any instances of firefox that are open.

next, open your home folder (places > home folder). when it opens, click on view in the toolbar and put a check next to "show hidden files", then scroll down in the home folder and find the .mozilla folder...

right click on it and choose "rename"....rename it .mozilla.bkup

close nautilus and then try firefox again (this will create a new .mozilla folder with a new profile)...see if its any better.

you can get your old firefox settings back by deleting the new .mozilla folder and renaming .mozilla.bkup to .mozilla

hope that helps.

You can easily create/delete/start profiles by running the command below:

firefox -P

Several posts on these forums recommends moving, renaming or deleting ~/.mozilla folder to solve Firefox issues. While this will certainly remove any corrupted Firefox profiles and thus solve many common issues, you should consider that the ~/.mozilla folder is also the place where other Mozilla applications might store their profiles (Sunbird, etc), so removing this folder will also remove their settings.

Firefox profiles are stored under ~/.mozilla/firefox or ~/.mozilla/firefox-x.y folders, where x.y is the Firefox version. So if you need to remove a Firefox profile to fix a problem, then remove ~/.mozilla/firefox or ~/.mozilla/firefox-x.y not ~/.mozilla.

Nevertheless, there also no reason to delete the entire profile if you can pinpoint the culprit inside it. Most common Firefox issues can be traced back to a single profile file. So, if you can avoid removing the entire profile, you wil be able to preserve other settings like extensions, themes, bookmarks, cookies and passwords.

When in doubt tweak it out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

I also recommend that tutorial :)

HermanAB
August 13th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Slowness is usually due to a lame default DNS. Look at /etc/resolv.conf and test the performance of the DNS using dig (dns tools package). Then put the fastest DNS at the top of the list.

lovinglinux
August 13th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Slowness is usually due to a lame default DNS. Look at /etc/resolv.conf and test the performance of the DNS using dig (dns tools package). Then put the fastest DNS at the top of the list.

It can also be due to ipv6. See Solution [FOT005] from the Troubleshooting section of the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567&highlight=FOT005).

gardara
August 13th, 2009, 07:03 AM
disabling ipv6 might speed things up a bit

binbash
August 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
disable ipv6 :
http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/04/howto-disable-ipv6-at-ubuntu-jaunty.html

fidelandche
August 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I have disabled ipv6 and that did improve things at the start but everything has just slowed down again. On my laptop I do not have this problem and mine has a lot lower spec than hers. I did try to install the latest version of firefox but was unsure of how to install it, could someone please give me a step by step guide on how to download/install please, as I am very new to Ubuntu and still finding my way about. So far the information on this forum has been very helpful and easy to understand and for someone who has never used code before it is very easy to follow.

Many thanks.

lovinglinux
August 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I have disabled ipv6 and that did improve things at the start but everything has just slowed down again. On my laptop I do not have this problem and mine has a lot lower spec than hers. I did try to install the latest version of firefox but was unsure of how to install it, could someone please give me a step by step guide on how to download/install please, as I am very new to Ubuntu and still finding my way about. So far the information on this forum has been very helpful and easy to understand and for someone who has never used code before it is very easy to follow.

Many thanks.

The 4 most popular methods of installation of Firefox 3.5 (Psychocats, Ubuntuzilla, Repository, Shiretoko/Swiftfox) are available in the "Install Other Versions" section of the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

There is also a detailed explanation of each installation method provided, comparing the most important differences. I personally tested all of them and they work like a charm, but I recommend methods 1 (Psychocats) and 2 (Ubuntuzilla).

fidelandche
August 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
OK I have installed Opera and found it very slow compared with FF, so have removed it. I have also installed Shiretoko, but it appears slower than the version of FF that comes with 9.04. I have tried uninstalling it via add/remove and synaptic and terminal using the following code " sudo apt-get remove shiretoko" but the terminal was unable to find the package, so what do I do to remove it?
Are there any other browsers that work well in Ubuntu?

Many thanks.

lovinglinux
August 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
OK I have installed Opera and found it very slow compared with FF, so have removed it. I have also installed Shiretoko, but it appears slower than the version of FF that comes with 9.04. I have tried uninstalling it via add/remove and synaptic and terminal using the following code " sudo apt-get remove shiretoko" but the terminal was unable to find the package, so what do I do to remove it?
Are there any other browsers that work well in Ubuntu?

Many thanks.

sudo apt-get remove firefox-3.5

Garyhans
August 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Simply go to tools in firefox / addons / extensions and disable ubuntu modifications. Done. Note they are not enabled in 3.5 which makes the noticeable speed increase.

terry_gardener
August 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
this has also happened to me before while back now.
you can also try clearing the cache and browser history.
open browser and click tools clear option cant remember exact name.
then close browser and restart it.

sydbat
August 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Stupid question time...

Is the Ubuntu install on your partners laptop in a separate partition or via wubi? Wubi can cause problems because it is a virtualization of Ubuntu inside Windows.

Also, is your install (on your own computer) full or wubi? I ask this because you say you have no problems.

Finally, what are the specs on your partners laptop? It might be a hardware issue.

fidelandche
August 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
The install on my laptop is a full install of jaunty, with vista completely removed. I have also done a complete install of my partners laptop and removed vista, so both have jaunty as the only OS. The specs of my partners laptop are;

Processor type : Intel® Celeron® Processor (http://www.intel.com/products/processor/celerondualcore/index.htm) T1600
clock speed : 1.66 GHz
Front Side Bus : 667 MHz
2nd level cache : 1 MB
Operating system Genuine (http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/images/eu/msg/) Windows Vista® Home Premium 32-bit Edition (pre-installed, Toshiba-HDD recovery)

System memory standard : 1,024 MB
maximum expandability : 4,096 MB
technology : DDR2 RAM (800 MHz)
Hard disk capacity : 160 GB
certification : S.M.A.R.T.
drive rotation : 5,400 rpm
DVD Super Multi drive (Double Layer) compatibility : CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-R(DL), DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R(DL), DVD+RW, DVD-RAM
maximum speed : Read: 24x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM/ Write: 24x CD-R, 4x CD-RW, 10x HS CD-RW, 24x US CD-RW, 8x DVD-R, 6x DVD-R (Double Layer), 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R, 6x DVD+R (Double Layer), 8x DVD+RW, 5x DVD-RAM
type : DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive
Display size : 15.4 "
type : Toshiba TruBrite® WXGA TFT High Brightness display
internal resolution : 1,280 x 800
Graphics adaptor manufacturer : Intel®
type : Mobile Intel® GMA 4500M
memory : up to 1,340 MB total available graphics memory with 3 GB system memory
memory type : shared
Internal video modes The following internal video modes are supported:
resolution : 1,280 x 800
Max External Video Modes Max Resolution : 2,048 x 1,536
Max Refresh Rate : 85 Hz
Non-interlaced resolution with max refresh rate : 1,600 x 1,200
Interfaces 1 x DC-in
1 x external monitor
1 x RJ-11
1 x RJ-45
1 x external microphone
1 x headphone (stereo)
3 (Left 2, Right 1) x USB 2.0
Expansion 2 x memory slots (1 to configure)
1 x ExpressCard slot
Wireless communication Compliancy : Wi-Fi®
Network Support : 802.11b/g
Wireless Technology : Wireless LAN
Wired communication topology : Fast Ethernet LAN
speed : 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX
topology : international V.90 modem (V.92 ready)
speed : 56 Kbps data and 14.4 Kbps fax
Sound system supported audio format : 24-bit stereo
speakers : built-in stereo speaker
manufacturer : Toshiba Bass Enhanced Sound System
Keyboard keys : 87
Windows keys : Yes
Pointing device type : Touch Pad
Battery technology : lithium-ion
maximum life : up to 2h30min (Mobile Mark™ 2007)
AC adaptor input voltage : autosensing AC adapter (100/240 V) for worldwide usage
Physical dimensions W x D x H : 362 x 267 x 33.0 (front) / 37.7 (rear) mm
weight : starting at 2.49 kg
Warranty 1-year international warranty. Upgrade your standard warranty with Toshiba warranty extension, uplift and all-risks insurance packs.
Bundled hardware AC adaptor
Bundled software Toshiba Disc Creator
Toshiba User's Manual
Supervisor Password Utility
Toshiba Assist
Toshiba DVD Player
Ulead® DVD MovieFactory® for TOSHIBA
McAfee® Internet Security Suite - Toshiba Edition (includes free Internet updates for 30 days)
Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator
Microsoft® Works, Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (free 60-day trial)
Toshiba Value Added Package (Toshiba Power Saver, Toshiba Zooming Utility, Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool, Toshiba Flash Cards, Toshiba Components Common Driver, Toshiba Accessibility, Toshiba Button Support)
Google Software (Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Google Desktop, Picasa)
Connectivity Doctor
ConfigFree™
Toshiba utilities and drivers
Toshiba EasyMedia Google Software (Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Google Desktop, Picasa)
Toshiba TEMPRO Performance Tuning Service
McAfee® Internet Security Suite - Toshiba Edition
Smart Display Support
Toshiba Flash Cards
Diversity Antenna
Toshiba ConfigFree™
Internal HD 720p support
Security features user password
main memory (by screw)
HDD password on request
main battery pack (by sliding latch)
wireless LAN switch
main hard disk (by screw)
slot for Kensington Cable Lock
supervisor password
Special features HD Audio support
SM BIOS compliant
Certification This product is in compliance with the requirements of the applicable European Directives for CE marking.
(javascript:window.open('/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1058194&printFriendly=true','printFam','menubar=yes,toolba r=no,status=no,width=850,height=450,scrollbars=yes ,resizable=yes');void(null);)
I have cleared the cache and browser history