PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] cheap gamepad for emulators?

pyromanic123boom
August 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
what gamepad would work in linux for the nes emulator?
need: d-pad, select/start, and at least 2 buttons (4 would be nice because of turbo a/b). prefer it to feel as simple as the original nes controller. don't want to buy the retrolink or anything over 5 dollars.

Hospadar
August 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Almost all gamepads will work as they all typically use the standard usb HID interface. I got a couple cheap-o microsoft ones with a d-pad, 4 buttons on the face and 2 shoulder buttons and they work great in mame (and I assume in anything else they'd be fine too) at a garage sale. I think they came from the university's psych department (behavior experiments). - http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-SideWinder-Game-Pad-USB-PC/dp/B00004UC0L

I also have some variant of a logitech "wing commander" that has more buttons and 2 analog sticks that also works great (including the sticks)

You could probably score some similar pads on ebay for super cheap.

Also original x-box controllers are actually standard usb controllers, all you have to do is chop the cable and put a new connector on (there are guides on the google).

Just make sure you get USB ones because there are about 20 billion trillion out there that use a "game connector" which is in fact a midi port, typically found on older/high-end sound cards (and most certainly not found in any on-board or laptop sound hardware.

LowSky
August 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=SubCatDeals&SubCategory=123&StoreType=2&N=2082750123

nikhilbhardwaj
August 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
where in the world are you
in india you could get one
similar to a Playstation 2 gamepad with shock for 200 rupees
thats about 4 dollars

pyromanic123boom
August 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Hey, thanks for the suggestions (except that one about India, that was tasteless). I figured any usb controller would work, I was just hunting for one that looked/felt as genuine to a nes as possible. I think I'll try to find some of those ones from newegg on ebay. They looked good.
I'll let you know. Thanks