PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Appearance keeps closing

steigerjb
August 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I can't open Appearance settings. It'll open for like a second and then close automatically.

I have tried opening both ways:

-right click desktop > Change Desktop Background
-System > Preferences > Appearance

:confused::confused::confused:

CatKiller
August 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
You've tried two ways, but that's not all ways, grasshopper :)

Running
gnome-appearance-properties in a Terminal may give you some clues as to what's going wrong.

steigerjb
August 12th, 2009, 11:18 PM

Running
gnome-appearance-properties in a Terminal may give you some clues as to what's going wrong.

joe@joe-ubuntu:~$ gnome-appearance-properties
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome": libglobalmenu-gnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome": libglobalmenu-gnome.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/home/joe/.themes/Aureus-Mariux/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:129: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/home/joe/.themes/Aureus-Mariux/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:199: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/home/joe/.themes/Aureus-Mariux/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:236: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/home/joe/.themes/Aureus-Mariux/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:256: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/home/joe/.themes/Aureus-Mariux/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:325: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/home/joe/.themes/Murrina-LiNsta/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:71: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.
/home/joe/.themes/Murrina-LiNsta/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:1009: Murrine configuration option "hilight_ratio" will be deprecated in future releases. Please use "highlight_shade" instead.

(gnome-appearance-properties:16940): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: _name

(gnome-appearance-properties:16940): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: _name

(gnome-appearance-properties:16940): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: comment

(gnome-appearance-properties:16940): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: comment

** (gnome-appearance-properties:16940): CRITICAL **: gnome_desktop_thumbnail_factory_lookup: assertion `uri != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault
joe@joe-ubuntu:~$

steigerjb
August 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
anybody?

CatKiller
August 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
** (gnome-appearance-properties:16940): CRITICAL **: gnome_desktop_thumbnail_factory_lookup: assertion `uri != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault

Well, I think that's the problematic bit. But I don't know what it means.

steigerjb
August 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Well, I think that's the problematic bit. But I don't know what it means.

haha, yeah me either :lolflag:

CatKiller
August 14th, 2009, 11:28 PM
You could try changing the theme through gconf-editor, in case it's just a problem with the theme you're using. I believe the keys are /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme, ../icon_theme and /apps/metacity/general/theme. Change them to something that's worked before, like Human.

I'm not that optimistic, though, I'm afraid.

steigerjb
August 15th, 2009, 05:47 PM
You could try changing the theme through gconf-editor, in case it's just a problem with the theme you're using. I believe the keys are /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme, ../icon_theme and /apps/metacity/general/theme. Change them to something that's worked before, like Human.

I'm not that optimistic, though, I'm afraid.

I am using a Ubuntu theme already...dust

jrothwell97
August 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Segmentation faults are tricky. My advice is to report this as a bug and hope for the best - unfortunately, there's not much more I think you can do for now :(

steigerjb
August 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Segmentation faults are tricky. My advice is to report this as a bug and hope for the best - unfortunately, there's not much more I think you can do for now :(

k, i reported it in launchpad

steigerjb
August 18th, 2009, 05:34 PM
they actual closed my launchpad bug report :(

"Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. However, your crash report is either missing or
challenging to deal with as a ".crash" file. Please follow these
instructions to have apport report a new bug about your crash that can
be dealt with by the automatic retracer.

If you are running the Ubuntu Stable Release you might need to enable
apport in /etc/default/apport and restart.

If you are using Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop environment - launch nautilus and navigate to your /var/crash directory and double click on the crash report you wish to submit."

I have no idea what they mean. There is nothing in the /var/crash folder.

So its now up you all here to help me

philinux
August 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Open your home folder. ctrl h to dhow hidden files. Open .themes and delete or rename the offending themes in there.

.themes/Aureus-Mariux/

.themes/Murrina-LiNsta

steigerjb
August 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Open your home folder. ctrl h to dhow hidden files. Open .themes and delete or rename the offending themes in there.

.themes/Aureus-Mariux/

.themes/Murrina-LiNsta

nope

gnome-appearance-properties

(gnome-appearance-properties:4417): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: _name

(gnome-appearance-properties:4417): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: _name

(gnome-appearance-properties:4417): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: comment

(gnome-appearance-properties:4417): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: comment

** (gnome-appearance-properties:4417): CRITICAL **: gnome_desktop_thumbnail_factory_lookup: assertion `uri != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault

Kriblom
August 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I had the same problem after trying to change periodically the wallpaper via a script.

I just removed the "~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml" and it now re-works !

Seems if the xml file points to a non-existant picture, gnome-appearance will crash :/

steigerjb
August 21st, 2009, 03:27 AM
I had the same problem after trying to change periodically the wallpaper via a script.

I just removed the "~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml" and it now re-works !

Seems if the xml file points to a non-existant picture, gnome-appearance will crash :/

nope

Volt9000
August 22nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
I checked my system and found that I didn't have that library that's being referenced (globalmenu-gnome).

So I did some Googling and it appears that module is used by this (http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/).

I also found a post on another website where someone has the same issue. So here's the link, lemme know if it works for you.

http://magnus-k-karlsson.blogspot.com/2009/02/remove-gnome-globalmenu.html

steigerjb
August 22nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
I checked my system and found that I didn't have that library that's being referenced (globalmenu-gnome).

So I did some Googling and it appears that module is used by this (http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/).

I also found a post on another website where someone has the same issue. So here's the link, lemme know if it works for you.

http://magnus-k-karlsson.blogspot.com/2009/02/remove-gnome-globalmenu.html

still nope

steigerjb
August 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM

(gnome-appearance-properties:13892): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: _name

(gnome-appearance-properties:13892): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: _name

(gnome-appearance-properties:13892): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: comment

(gnome-appearance-properties:13892): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Unknown Tag: comment

** (gnome-appearance-properties:13892): CRITICAL **: gnome_desktop_thumbnail_factory_lookup: assertion `uri != NULL' failed
Segmentation fault

steigerjb
August 25th, 2009, 09:39 PM
anybody know??? it's getting REALLY frustrating.

steigerjb
August 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM
anybody know???

Muddville
August 31st, 2009, 03:53 PM

Running

Same problem here on a new installation of Netbook Remix/Acer Aspire One. Terminal message is:
(gnome-appearance-properties:3987): appearance-properties-WARNING **: Could not load user interface file: Duplicate object id 'hbox1' on line 1910 (previously on line 29)

...all of which is more Greek to me than most Windows error messages. :-0

steigerjb
August 31st, 2009, 05:09 PM
someone help me and Muddville :confused:

JerichoKru
August 31st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Have you tried re-installing that particular program with APT/Synaptic? It seems to me that something got corrupted at some point.

Muddville
August 31st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Have you tried re-installing that particular program with APT/Synaptic? It seems to me that something got corrupted at some point.

No, but I see that Update Manager is doing the same thing. It opened properly once this morning and just hangs and stops before opening now - pretty much the same thing as Appearance, which I've never been able to open. Just installed this yesterday and am still getting used to how it works, but I'll look for some documentation on reinstalling stuff.

I guess it's a good thing this isn't Windows or I'd probably be reinstalling the whole bloody thing. :-P

Update: Still looking for "Appearance" in Synaptics but I found Update Manager and reinstalled, to no avail. Reported bug.

LowSky
August 31st, 2009, 11:20 PM
Is this happening in 9.04 or are you using the Alpha of 9.10 because I had a similar issue on 9.10.

I would reinstall the ubuntu-desktop package, maybe delete any themes you installed recently

the bug soes exist on Launchpad... the fix is to remove the offending icon themes

steigerjb
September 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Is this happening in 9.04 or are you using the Alpha of 9.10 because I had a similar issue on 9.10.

I would reinstall the ubuntu-desktop package, maybe delete any themes you installed recently

the bug soes exist on Launchpad... the fix is to remove the offending icon themes

didn't help

Muddville
September 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Found a way to initiate the update check sans Update Manager. Once available updates were installed, Update Manager and Appearance worked properly. Life is good. :)

steigerjb
September 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Found a way to initiate the update check sans Update Manager. Once available updates were installed, Update Manager and Appearance worked properly. Life is good. :)

fix mine Muddville...what do I do??????

ks07
September 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
fix mine Muddville...what do I do??????
If you want to update without the update manager type into a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
then

sudo apt-get upgrade

I'm guessing this is what Muddville did, as this is how the update manager works behind the scenes.

steigerjb
September 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
If you want to update without the update manager type into a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
then

sudo apt-get upgrade

I'm guessing this is what Muddville did, as this is how the update manager works behind the scenes.

that didn't help me ks07

Windows Nerd
September 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
...all of which is more Greek to me than most Windows error messages. :-0
Haha. That one made me laugh.

Maybe installing an alternate theme manager might help? Because the current one looks like it has been corrupted. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Scott

steigerjb
September 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
got a private message:

Hi
I followed you problem since the begining,sorry for your frustration.
I don't know if this will help you.
Try to open your home folder > Ctrl+H to show hidden files > delete .icons & .themes folders.
logout and select "gnome" from session, then log in.
I hope this can help.:neutral:

nope

steigerjb
September 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I gotta get this fixed [-o< We gotta call in the Ubuntu Forum staff in on this one...get some answers.

I attached a video. Maybe I am not describing it right.

Somebody help me PLEASE! :sad::!:#-o:frown:](*,)

steigerjb
September 9th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Somebody help me PLEASE!

steigerjb
September 10th, 2009, 06:02 PM
bump?

steigerjb
September 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
bump. someone help me plz

yzfvie
September 14th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I think I have a similar problem with several applications.
I installed google earth and skype. Both applications worked fine the first time I used them.
The next day, I tried to use them again and found that they would not activate at all in the "Applications" pull down menu. They were in the "Internet" list.
Today, I tried to remove the software using "add/remove" and found that this option would appear for a second and disappear from my desktop. I then tried "Synaptic applications" in "System" menu and saw the same results.

What is going on???

steigerjb
September 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
idk

steigerjb
September 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM
bumping again

shae
September 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Have you tried creating a new user and see if it experiences the same problem?

ibuclaw
September 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM
If creating a new account doesn't work, then try reinstalling the apps affected.

sudo aptitude reinstall gnome-control-center libgnome-desktop-2-11

Regards
Iain

steigerjb
September 21st, 2009, 11:27 PM
If creating a new account doesn't work, then try reinstalling the apps affected.

sudo aptitude reinstall gnome-control-center libgnome-desktop-2-11

Regards
Iain

nope

steigerjb
September 22nd, 2009, 12:42 AM
i am going to try upgrading to karmic koala and see if that fixes it

steigerjb
September 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
upgrading didn't fix it. and it broke my desktop effects (I have none now :( )

steigerjb
September 24th, 2009, 11:33 PM
reinstalled Jaunty, problems solved