PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ok, installed Ubuntu, LOVE it. now what?

dvigue
August 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Now that i am running Ubuntu with a MAC OS x Theme, what are the "must have" apps to install for this OS?

in your opinions....

Thanks...
Derek

wotsit
August 12th, 2009, 07:20 PM
have you tried conky? it's a highly customisable system monitor that you can have running in a window, infront of the desktop, run on start-up... and its pretty lightweight. Look on gnome-look for some cool scripts :)

mapes12
August 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Now that i am running Ubuntu with a MAC OS x ThemeHow did you do that please............and what's this conky thingy?
what are the "must have" apps to install for this OS?Want do you want to do?? We can then feedback from there.

Zeroangel
August 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM
frostwire -- if you download music
fusion-icon -- if you have compiz fusion running, gives you access to tweak it more
yakuake -- dropdown terminal
emesene -- If you prefer to only use MSN as your only IM client

wesnoth-all -- The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn based strategy game in a fantasy setting
sauerbraten -- A 3D FPS game
nexuiz -- Another 3D FPS, with lots of multiplayer

http://www.gnome-look.org -- pimp out your desktop (be warned it can become a big time sink)

CatKiller
August 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Pioneers.

nmaster
August 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
i like songbird as a substitute for itunes. you can use itunes skins too

mangurt
August 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
My "must have" software:

mplayer (video player)
hellanzb (nzb downloading program)
winff (video converting program)
k3b (disk burning program)

MrWES
August 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Now that i am running Ubuntu with a MAC OS x Theme, what are the "must have" apps to install for this OS?

in your opinions....

Thanks...
Derek

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Run that from a terminal - Applications | Accessories | Terminal

That should install everything you'll need in regards to multi-media support, codecs, etc.

IMHO -- install K9copy and K3B for ripping and burning DVDs, iso files, etc. It's worth carrying the extra KDE libraries.

~Bill