PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to use vga to rca cable in ubuntu

JacKeown
August 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I have an msi wind u120 and have ubuntu on it (not the netbook remix) and it has a vga output and I was wondering...

1.How to make my computer output media through my vga to rca cable
2.Does vga output audio as well as video.

Thanks

OffAxis
August 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
The video driver controls the output to the vga connector, so if you don't have the Restricted Driver installed for your video you should start there.
vga does not output audio, but you should have a line out from your sound card that you can plug an adapter into to get it to a set of rca plugs.

LowSky
August 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
for sound you will need a y-cable, radioshack and newegg carry them. it plugs into the sound port and give normal rca stereo inputs a tv/stereo can use. very handy

to output to RCA hit the cool button on your keyboard that looks like a box, ofen in Blue and ona function key like F4 or whatever.

Note many people buy VGA to RCA cables and they dont work. which is probably going to be your case.

read the reviews on Amazon if you dont believe me. The output has to be able to handle it, and I dont your new netbook will.
http://www.amazon.com/CONVERTER-S-VIDEO-ADAPTER-graphic-function/dp/B000S675JU/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

JacKeown
August 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Is there a USB to RCA cable I could buy that would output both audio and video?

LowSky
August 12th, 2009, 07:49 PM
no... sorry your out of luck, unless your TV is an HDTV and has VGA input, you will not get video.

sound goes through the sound card

if you want sound and video through one source only one technolgy handles that and its HDMI, many newer desktops and some laptops have, sadely left off Netbooks

JacKeown
August 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
would this work....
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Male-A-to-3-x-RCA-AV-Video-adapter-Lead-Cable%2FCord_W0QQitemZ270438363651QQcmdZViewItemQQ imsxZ20090805?IMSfp=TL090805154002r12923

Hospadar
August 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
It's actually pretty difficult to convert between vga and RCA and typically requires a somewhat expensive converter box. If you have an S-video out (round connector, looks kind of like a female ps/2) that has a much higher likeliehood of actually working (I do that on my laptop with an nvidia card).

I've never actually known of a card that can do vga-out to RCA and so I'm always kind of curious what's actually in those cables. Perhaps I am just naive though.

As for audio, I've always just use a nice stereo plug-to-rca connector from radio shack that plugs into the regular size stereo connector on your compy.

LowSky
August 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
no, that works the other way, like Tv/DVD to computer. If it even works at all

LowSky
August 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
It's actually pretty difficult to convert between vga and RCA and typically requires a somewhat expensive converter box. If you have an S-video out (round connector, looks kind of like a female ps/2) that has a much higher likeliehood of actually working (I do that on my laptop with an nvidia card).

he has a intel chipset for a netbook, it doesn't have the an nvdia or ATI graphics card that allows S-Video, he is stuck with VGA.

JacKeown
August 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
ok well all I have is a vga out and a usb drive and an audio out so what is the easiest way to connect this to rca if there is a way?

LowSky
August 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815117101

netbooks are not meant to be used with TV's.

They were designed as a low cost solution, for people who cannot afford regular PCs. But somehow geeks bought them to uses as spare on the go laptops, and then the regular public like them because they were cute and cheap. I know people hate to hear this but if you wanted a computer to use with a TV then you should have shpped for the feature. Also Older TV's are not meant to be used as monitors. They cannot run the resolutions and can suffer from burn-in.