PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I made a BIG ut-oh, closed installer script

designateduser
August 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
So I was trying to install some webcam software package, and after the "terminal" view and the loading bar had not changed in a while, I decided, like the idiot I sometimes am, to try and re-start it and so I closed the installation #-o. After trying to re-start the package installer I found that the original installer was still running somewhere! I logged out and logged back in and it was STILL RUNNING. I turned off my computer and re-started Ubuntu Jaunty and I am still not able to run any installers or software management. How can I close that origninal script! any insight is much appreciated.

alexlafreniere
August 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Usually if you just let whatever process is running just sit for a while it will crash itself out. If you haven't gotten the crash reporter applet showing up in your panel, try issuing the
top command in the terminal and see if there is a process named similar to what you are looking for. If you find it, issue
killall <processName> then reboot for good measure. You should be fine after that. If the installer left some stray files around your drive, find and delete them and start from the beginning.