PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Second hard drive setup?

PartsMan
August 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Is there a way to make new files and programs load to my second hard drive automatically?

I have 8.04 loaded on an old 10g hard drive and everything keeps trying to load on it.
Would rather keep it for Ubuntu and its updates and put my pictures, documents,videos and programs on the bigger 80g.

zerhacke
August 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
It's not really possible. You could use it for a home partition and store you goods in the home directory, but to change your setup to put programs on that drive too is going to be more work than it's worth.

Why not just backup all important files and do away with the 10 GB HDD, installing clean on the 80 GB HDD?

Sir Jasper
August 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hi,

If your second drive is formatted as ext3 or fat32 just copy some of your pictures to it - and you should be able to read everything from Ubuntu.

You can definitely use your second drive for Data and the 10 GB on your main drive will probably be ample for your OS and programs.

However, there are alternative strategies.

My regards

PartsMan
August 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
You could use it for a home partition and store you goods in the home directory

That sounds like what I am thinking.
How do I make it "home".

The 10g is the one I added.
I want to be able to update\change Ubuntu without having to back up my files.

ymra
August 12th, 2009, 05:54 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome This should give you an idea about how to get started.

PartsMan
August 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Yes, thank you.

I did some more searching on "move home" and "home drive" and found a lot on the topic.

PartsMan
August 13th, 2009, 04:33 AM
HELP! I can not boot into Ubuntu now.

I get this message after I put in my user name and password.

"Your home directory is listed as '/home/josh' but it does't appear to exist."

Currently running live 8.04 cd.

PartsMan
August 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
New thread started.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1239242