PDA

View Full Version : Which flavour of Linux

jimmers
August 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I have an old Sony Vaio laptop (20 gb hard drive, 636 RAM), my friend is getting rather fed up with
Windows, and likes the way Jaunty performs on my Acer, my question is what would be the best flavour
of Linux to run on this old laptop, it doesnt have to be cutting edge, as it is only for her to play around with, and get the feel of Linux, I have downloaded the latest version of Puppy, that wont install, Fedora wont install, Mandriva wont install, Hardy wont install, infact the only one that will install apart from Windows, is Jaunty and that is very jerky and even just hangs for anything upto ten minutes.

All help really appreciated.

Jimmers

MelDJ
August 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
how about slax?
u can choose how big you want it to be and what you want in it:lolflag:

Arup
August 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I have an old Sony Vaio laptop (20 gb hard drive, 636 RAM), my friend is getting rather fed up with
Windows, and likes the way Jaunty performs on my Acer, my question is what would be the best flavour
of Linux to run on this old laptop, it doesnt have to be cutting edge, as it is only for her to play around with, and get the feel of Linux, I have downloaded the latest version of Puppy, that wont install, Fedora wont install, Mandriva wont install, Hardy wont install, infact the only one that will install apart from Windows, is Jaunty and that is very jerky and even just hangs for anything upto ten minutes.

All help really appreciated.

Jimmers

For that amount of RAM consider crunchbang, puppy, dsl, Mepis AntiX or Xubuntu.

Mark Phelps
August 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Appears you've already tried the more obvious variants.

Would suggest you check out some of the PC Linux OS variants. They have a minimal version (sorry, forget the name) that might just work. You can find their link on the distrowatch.com site, and once there, you should be able to find links to their other versions in their forum.

Good Luck

halitech
August 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
what model Viao? What CPU and video card?

longtom
August 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
what model Viao? What CPU and video card?

Good question. But from the little info we get and consider the CPUs, which came with 20GB laptops, Puppy should fly on this. Fedora and Mandriva can be a bit heavy for older systems.

I don't think the operating system is your problem....maybe the hardware?

But to fill up the list of possibles a bit there is DSL, SliTaz and AntiXMepis.

lkraemer
August 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Try Crunchbang! I am running Crunchbang 9.04.1 on an old
Compaq 1672 - AMD K6-2 350 MHZ with 192 Meg RAM and it works good.

lkraemer

halitech
August 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Good question. But from the little info we get and consider the CPUs, which came with 20GB laptops, Puppy should fly on this. Fedora and Mandriva can be a bit heavy for older systems.

I don't think the operating system is your problem....maybe the hardware?

But to fill up the list of possibles a bit there is DSL, SliTaz and AntiXMepis.

thats why I was wondering what model so we had a better idea on the hardware. I've got an old Viao and its got a 6gig drive and its a K6-2 550 so I'm thinking the OP has a system just a little newer then mine.

If he's got a K6 chip then AntiX won't run as it doesn't see it as an i686 chip (been there, tried that) but a minimal debian install with LXDE works nicely.

XubuRoxMySox
August 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM
The long-term releases of Ubuntu are very good and stable. Hardy Heron I think is the last LTR. With LXDE on it it flies along effortlessly, and it's Ubuntu so you still have all the awesomeness.

-Robin

snowpine
August 12th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hi there, can you be more specific than "won't install"? You've already tried several "flavors" of linux and had problems with all of them; any error messages you can share with us will help diagnose the problem...

NightwishFan
August 12th, 2009, 05:39 PM
OpenSUSE is fairly light and still pretty great.

Contrary to popular belief, around 600mb is fairly sufficient for most 32-bit modern kernels + major desktop. I would know because my system is like that.

nikhilbhardwaj
August 12th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Would suggest you check out some of the PC Linux OS variants. They have a minimal version (sorry, forget the name) that might just work.
Good Luck

i second pclinuxos
the light weight version is pclxde
its live cd is only 330 mb

jimmers
August 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Guys,
Thanks for all the help and advice, I think I have run the gamut of all your suggestions, after the amount of blank cd's I have gone through and the cost to my electricity bill, I have come to the conclusion that it will be cheaper to buy my chum a Linux laptop.

I think it must be a hardware problem?????

But many thanks guys, I really appreciate all your ideas and suggestions.

Jimmers