PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Repeated Ubuntu 8.04 crashes on my old desktop.

ashesh0326
August 12th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hi guys,

I have installed ubuntu 8.04 on my old box with this configuration:

Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz,
Intel 915GLVG motherboard,
Samsung SATA 160 GB Primary HDD
Seagate SATA 80 GB HDD
512 MB DDR 1 Memory
Intel onboard graphics

Now, ever since the install, I've been facing a strange issue.

First of all, with the latest versions of GNOME, my Xserver keeps repeatedly crashing, restarting and presenting me with the login screen again and again. Repeated login attempts then hangs the display and I fail to log in from then onwards.

Next, I installed Ubuntu 8.04, and then things got more stable and I was able to log in and do my work.

What started happening here was, the system completely crashes if I leave it idling for around 20-30 minutes. I log in, and things seem to be working pretty well.

Once the system crashes (it happens after the power manager turns off my monitor), nothing seems to work, the keyboard, or mouse, or the power button don't respond.

I don't know what the issue is but would like to get this system up and running. Moreover, I don't think this is a hardware error since the system boots off pretty smoothly, and shows glitches only after running a while - not at irregular times.

Can anyone please help me out with this? I've tried asking for help earlier but didn't receive any responses.

Thanks a lot in advance, I'll look forward to hearing from you guys.

ellgor
August 12th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Hi,

Check to see if you have "libhal-dev" or "hal-dev" installed, had similar issues.

Regards, Ellgor.