andrea000
August 12th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I don't use it myself but i have only read good things about it

ubudog
August 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Alright, maybe I'll get it. Thanks!

AlanR8
August 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Just installed it on my Sony (Below) over the weekend. I'm impressed! I didn't bother with changing the grub screens and the loading screens but once it's up and running it looks nice! No issues with stability and that's on Karmic Alpha 3 with all the updates.

ubudog
August 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Just installed it on my Sony (Below) over the weekend. I'm impressed! I didn't bother with changing the grub screens and the loading screens but once it's up and running it looks nice! No issues with stability and that's on Karmic Alpha 3 with all the updates.

Nice. I don't see the picture though.

keithld
August 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I've been using it for about 4-months and I love it... Once I set up the Avant Window Manager Dock and installed the Firefox theme it looks like a Mac to me... :)

If you want to get rid of the default colored background when Booting, I changed mine to black, just go to System > Administration > "Login Window" find: "Background Color under the "Local Tab and click on it" and copy down the numbers in case you want to change it back then set it to Black (#000000) or whatever color you want...

bostonaholic
August 12th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm going to check it out now. At least to ease into the transition to the soon-to-come mac book pro. Don't worry, Ubuntu will stay on the desktop!

AlanR8
August 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I didn't include a picture but when I get home I'll get one posted

bostonaholic
August 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM
!!!DON'T INSTALL THIS PIECE OF JUNK!!!!

I installed it and it was eh. I decided to uninstall it using the provided uninstall script. Everything seemed to be ok but now everytime I reboot I get an error message before the login screen, something about "Cannot find the Mac4Lin<something>.xml". The login screen is not the normal login screen I had before, it's some stupid flowery thing. Annnnnnd on top of that, anytime anything needs rendered (I guess) on the screen, my screen flashes like mad. Like if the terminal is scrolling, or I hover over a folder (which changes color)...things like that. My screen is going crazy right now.

Help anyone?

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I didn't include a picture but when I get home I'll get one posted

Ok.

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
!!!DON'T INSTALL THIS PIECE OF JUNK!!!!

I installed it and it was eh. I decided to uninstall it using the provided uninstall script. Everything seemed to be ok but now everytime I reboot I get an error message before the login screen, something about "Cannot find the Mac4Lin<something>.xml". The login screen is not the normal login screen I had before, it's some stupid flowery thing. Annnnnnd on top of that, anytime anything needs rendered (I guess) on the screen, my screen flashes like mad. Like if the terminal is scrolling, or I hover over a folder (which changes color)...things like that. My screen is going crazy right now.

Help anyone?

Go to System>Administration>Login Window and click on the "Local" tab and select a login screen. That will fix your flowery issue. Sorry but I can't help you with the other issue. Maybe someone else can. :P

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I have seen other mac themes for linux but I have heard best about mac4lin. Maybe it's just your computer thats having that problem. I won't install it yet.

bostonaholic
August 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Go to System>Administration>Login Window and click on the "Local" tab and select a login screen. That will fix your flowery issue. Sorry but I can't help you with the other issue. Maybe someone else can. :P

Thanks, I have applied the login screen change you mentioned--I hope it works! Oddly enough, none of those themes were checked for the login screen, possibly that's what was causing the error message. I'm thinking the Mac4Lin_Uninstall script did not successfully reapply the login screen. I will look through the script to see what files it modifies when installing and uninstalling Mac4Lin so I can figure out what it f'ed up.

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Ok. Good luck! Another question: If I download mac4lin, will I use the regular System>Preferences>Appearance to choose it or will I have to run a script to install it?

bostonaholic
August 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Ok. Good luck! Another question: If I download mac4lin, will I use the regular System>Preferences>Appearance to choose it or will I have to run a script to install it?

There is a script they have to install it. Maybe I f'ed it up because I figured I would need to run as sudo, so I did that first. It didn't apply the theme so I just ran the script as my user and it worked. The script asks you if you want to use the root user for some actions, you can choose 'y' there. So maybe something f'ed up when I ran it as sudo? Idk.

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Did the login screen change work?

bostonaholic
August 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Did the login screen change work?

I just restarted and yes, the login screen is back to normal and I no longer get the error message. Thanks.

The screen flickering hasn't started yet, hopefully the restart helped with that.

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I just restarted and yes, the login screen is back to normal and I no longer get the error message. Thanks.

The screen flickering hasn't started yet, hopefully the restart helped with that.

You are welcome. So should I get mac4lin?

bostonaholic
August 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM
You are welcome. So should I get mac4lin?

I wasn't a fan. Maybe I botched the install by first running the script as sudo. Don't do that if you do install it.

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I wasn't a fan. Maybe I botched the install by first running the script as sudo. Don't do that if you do install it.

Ok. Thanks. :P

AlanR8
August 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Just put it on my EeePC running Karmic Netbook Remix, but using the standard desktop.

Installed a treat, in fact better than on the Sony for some reason. This EeePC has been sitting in a draw for the last 6 months and Netbook Remix has bought it to life! The Mac theme looks great and works well!

ubudog
August 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Just put it on my EeePC running Karmic Netbook Remix, but using the standard desktop.

Installed a treat, in fact better than on the Sony for some reason. This EeePC has been sitting in a draw for the last 6 months and Netbook Remix has bought it to life! The Mac theme looks great and works well!

Looks nice!

AlanR8
August 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
In fact, the more I use it, the more I like it!

LFCESP9
August 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah I like it. Here is mine below.

ubudog
August 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah I like it. Here is mine below.

Nice! Where did you get that wallpaper?

LFCESP9
August 14th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Nice! Where did you get that wallpaper?
http://www.krystal.no/images/newsimages/Think%20linux%201024-768.jpg

Right click it to set as background otherwise it comes out a bit fuzzy.

ubudog
August 14th, 2009, 01:47 AM
http://www.krystal.no/images/newsimages/Think%20linux%201024-768.jpg

Right click it to set as background otherwise it comes out a bit fuzzy.

Ok. Thanks.

AlanR8
August 16th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Quick update

Just (clean) installed/upgraded to Karmic Alpha 4 and then went through my normal ritual installations!

Had some major problems getting DropBox reinstalled. There was a conflict between DropBox and the Gnome Global Menu so here's the deal. Install Dropox BEFORE installing the Gnome Global Menu.

All is now cool.

Oh, by the way, If you want a link to DropBox, and get additional storage for yourself, and me, click the link below!

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTE0NzE5NzA5

hictio
August 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Yes, it seems nice indeed, but, IMHO, that theme does not look its best while running on such a low resolution, but, YMMV :D

Viva
August 17th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I have the icon theme installed, but that is about it. I find the mac theme boring.

ubudog
September 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Just downloaded it, looks nice, but I still need to do a bit of configuring. Thanks for the help everyone! :P

Ezipan
September 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
AlanR8 & LFCESP9 ... well done.

how did you manage to get that look !? could one of you guys summarize the step cuz I tried to apply Mac4Lin and it didn't add up well

fela
September 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I personally hate all the mac clone themes - I've used OSX alot and none of the themes are close to what the OSX theme actually is, they're all really buggy, etc.

I think you're better off getting a nice original theme, as they're sometimes better than the OSX theme. I prefer the default KDE theme to the OSX theme, but that's just me.

Of course you should try the mac4lin theme, there's no harm in trying.

AlanR8
September 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Ezipan

This is probably posted elsewhere in this thread:

http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-intrepid-into-mac-osx-leopard/2009/01/08

These are the step by step instructions to get the "look".

That said, I don't use the Awn Dock, I prefer the Cairo Dock so I miss out that step.

Also, on the install I find the Mac type desktop images don't automatically install so I do them manually. The fonts are important in the overall look and feel. Having sorted out the fonts I sort out the Apple logo, dead easy and there I stop.

I don't bother with the Grub modifications or the usplash screens. Not needed in my opinion once up and running. Here's another shot, this time on my Sony running Karmic Alpha 5.

ubudog
September 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Ezipan

This is probably posted elsewhere in this thread:

http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-intrepid-into-mac-osx-leopard/2009/01/08

These are the step by step instructions to get the "look".

That said, I don't use the Awn Dock, I prefer the Cairo Dock so I miss out that step.

Also, on the install I find the Mac type desktop images don't automatically install so I do them manually. The fonts are important in the overall look and feel. Having sorted out the fonts I sort out the Apple logo, dead easy and there I stop.

I don't bother with the Grub modifications or the usplash screens. Not needed in my opinion once up and running. Here's another shot, this time on my Sony running Karmic Alpha 5.

Not bad.

ubudog
September 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I got it, it is awesome!