PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mobile Broadband for Hardy

ooboontoo noobee
August 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hiya. No doubt this question has been asked in some form at least once, but I couldn't find it.

Have my dandy little Dell mini with Hardy factory installed. So far, it's all love. But, I work a lot in the field, you see, and can't always get to the nearest Hot Spot. Any recs on a mobile broadband plan/device compatible with my wee pal? And, proper installation info would also be appreciated. I'm self taught, and you know what that means.

Cheers.

zkriesse
August 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Do you have a live Ubuntu cd? and so you know...there is a new ubuntu version...check this out for info. https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/index.html

ibutho
August 11th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Most Huawei mobile broadband dongles will work with recent versions of Linux and with minimal configuration as well. I've had no problems using the E156 and E160 modems with Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04.

ooboontoo noobee
August 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
No Live CD, no ROM drive. I am interested in..what is the techno-term for upgrading versions?...but as I am the only living soul I personally know using Ubuntu, I am hesitant to attempt (insert above referenced verb here) alone.

By the way...love your avatar.

Cheers

snowpine
August 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Dell sells the Mini with options for either AT&T or Verizon... I'm sure you could contact Dell directly and get a compatible card.

ooboontoo noobee
August 11th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Most Huawei mobile broadband dongles will work with recent versions of Linux and with minimal configuration as well. I've had no problems using the E156 and E160 modems with Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04.

Ah, this is how it works.

Thank you for the welcome. I've read quite a lot about Huawei modems, however all the coverage references newer versions of Ubuntu. I was hoping for something a little more...oh, forgive me the dreaded Gates-speak...plug and play.

Cheers

ooboontoo noobee
August 11th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Dell sells the Mini with options for either AT&T or Verizon... I'm sure you could contact Dell directly and get a compatible card.

Hadn't thought of that. I'll give that a go if I can't put my hands on something OTC. Ta.

ibutho
August 11th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Ah, this is how it works.

Thank you for the welcome. I've read quite a lot about Huawei modems, however all the coverage references newer versions of Ubuntu. I was hoping for something a little more...oh, forgive me the dreaded Gates-speak...plug and play.

Cheers

On Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 the setup was more or less plug and play. Plugin the dongle, click on the network manager icon in the panel, choose mobile broadband and select your provider. The modems will probably work on older versions of Ubuntu, but I think you will have to do a bit of work in order to get them working right.