PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System Crash on Connect to Wireless

Stingxgl
August 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hey,

I was running Ubuntu 8.04 until just recently on a wired connection. I just moved into a house where I need to be on wireless. I was given a working Dlink DWA-542 card. I know it works as I am using it right now in WinXp. I was unable to get the card to recognize in 8.04 so I just formatted and installed 9.04 right off the disk. Fresh install booted no problem but with the wireless not setup. I clicked the wireless network icon in the system tray and found to my surprise that it was showing the list of available networks... awsome! So I clicked my network and entered the password and about 2 seconds into the swirly icon trying to connect my system hard crashes. I reset the system and reboot Ubuntu 9.04 and it lets me login.. but I can see the swirl "connecting" icon in the tray and then it hard crashes again. Now I can't login without it crashing. I've read a lot of nothing but trouble stories about this wireless card but nothing bad since 9.04. My issues are:

1. Can't login as wireless auto-connect is crashing system
2. Once I can login again.. how do I get connected without crashing.

System Specs:
D-Link DWA-542 PCI Wireless Card
AMD 64 X2 3800+
ASUS M2NSLI-Deluxe Mobo
4GB Ram
Dual Boot - WinXP / Ubuntu 9.04

I am only semi familiar with Ubuntu as my only real knowledge is how to setup xgl on the older ubuntu versions. I'm not sure how to erase the networking information from a prompt or whatever I may need to do to get back in. If anyone can assist with semi-newb instructions that would be great.

Thanks!

Stingxgl
August 11th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Bump... Someone must know how to kill the network settings from a prompt.. I imagine if I kill the auto-connect settings it will let me login.. then I can at least start messing around with the drivers.

Anyone?

Stingxgl
August 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Last bump... please someone read the ultra long post and help