PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu One command-line client

pytheas22
August 10th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I've been playing with Ubuntu One lately and it's pretty nice, but I'm wondering if it has a command-line client for use on systems with no web browser installed. It would be cool if I could access shared files from headless servers. Any ideas?

bacardiandwatermelon
August 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Ubuntu One looks interesting.. Haven't heard of it before... Is it secure? But in regards to the shares.. Wouldn't samba work? Or am I missing something?

pytheas22
August 11th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Ubuntu One looks interesting.. Haven't heard of it before... Is it secure? But in regards to the shares.. Wouldn't samba work? Or am I missing something?

Ubuntu One lets you share files between Ubuntu computers no matter where they're located, so it does more than samba, which is only realistic for computers on the same local network. I think I read that the data transfers are encrypted, so barring any other vulnerabilities, it should be secure.

It will be included by default in Ubuntu 9.10 under the Applications>Internet menu.

If only I could find a CLI client for it...

Yvan300
August 11th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Hmmm drop box is quite better imo, and also ubuntu one is only for jaunty at the moment.

juancarlospaco
August 12th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Hmmm drop box is quite better imo

Until you get sniffed and your data stoled.
:) UbuntuOne is encrypted, so its not better.

pytheas22
August 12th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Until you get sniffed and your data stoled.
UbuntuOne is encrypted, so its not better.

Are you sure Dropbox data transfers over the network aren't encrypted? I thought they were.

Yvan300
August 12th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I as well.

juancarlospaco
August 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Are you sure Dropbox data transfers over the network aren't encrypted? I thought they were.

No.
Is not encrypted really.

i got your filesss mmmuahahaaaahaaaa :P

pytheas22
August 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM
No.
Is not encrypted really.

i got your filesss mmmuahahaaaahaaaa :P

I don't want to start an argument and I have no particular attachment to Dropbox (I've never used it myself), but are you sure? According to softpedia (http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Dropbox-Review-105200.shtml):

all files are transported over SSL

Have you seen evidence that this is not the case? I'm just curious (and also interested in possibly writing a review of Ubuntu One, and want to know its strengths and weaknesses vs. similar tools).

juancarlospaco
August 14th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Yep, i sucessfully sniffed DropBox files, over the network with Wireshark (apt:/wireshark) and Driftnet (apt:/driftnet)

BTW on these review say that FTP is secure, and actually is not.
:)