PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz breaks graphics apps

AtomicCheese
August 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Running Compiz corrupts the graphic output of a bunch of the programs I use. The corrupted programs all seem to be using 3D graphics, or drawing some other kind of non-GUI data into their window. Is this a known problem, and if so, is there a work-around? I really like Compiz, but I can't deal with the problems its use seems to cause.

ArmenianLeader4
August 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
thats kinda the thing about compiz; it just hogs your RAM and CPU, always. You can go to appearance in your prefrences, and you can set your effects to none when you are running a program that uses alot of RAM, or you can just replace your graphics card.

AtomicCheese
August 11th, 2009, 12:37 AM
no, the cpu and ram are fine. The graphics output just flickers. I'm running at about 30% on both CPUs.

overdrank
August 11th, 2009, 02:08 AM
no, the cpu and ram are fine. The graphics output just flickers. I'm running at about 30% on both CPUs.

This is a issue as I understand it with the nvidia drivers, you may look at the fusion-icon (http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=fusion+icon) for quick change.

AtomicCheese
August 11th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Thanks. Is there some kind of work-around to the problem?

overdrank
August 11th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks. Is there some kind of work-around to the problem?

You may try a different nvidia driver. I am using 185.19 that works pretty well with my nvidia 8200M G