PDA

View Full Version : [other] Can't keep it up

Sticks_uk
August 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I am having a little problem keeping it up. Even after playing with it for an hour or so still no joy.

As you have guess I am referring to "the cube" desktop gizmo :)

any thoughts ?

AmerNewbieInDE
August 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
your having trouble keeping it up, im worse off, i cant get it up.. havent figured it out, but i keep playing :lolflag:

TetonsGulf
August 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM
There is generally some great help to be found in the Ubuntu documentation, try this to retrace your steps:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/CompizFusion

If that doesn't get you going again, tell us what the problem actually is... what is it that it's not doing for you.

The community is a wealth of information, but maybe a post title better suited for what you actually need help with would get some more help!

Simian Man
August 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I am having a little problem keeping it up. Even after playing with it for an hour or so still no joy.

As you have guess I am referring to "the cube" desktop gizmo :)

any thoughts ?

That was *definitely* not what I guessed from reading your post! Maybe I just have a dirty mind though :).

Sticks_uk
August 10th, 2009, 06:40 PM
well my cube is fully working and when i press ctrl alt and hold left mouse key I can pull back the mouse and it lets me view the cube(zooms out) but I would like it to stay there, however when I release the buttons it goes back to desktop.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
well, i was just going to ask how to get the cube, noting was working for me. the ctrl. alt. left click work for me, but as you say release the button and it goes away.. other question, i am inside the cube looking out, how do i change that

TetonsGulf
August 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I myself have never sought to "hold" the cube there, but I'm sure if it's possible then someone will let us know!

Here's a couple more shortcuts, at least they work for me...

on the desktop you can click and hold the scroll wheel of the mouse and you should zoom out... also for me, pressing both the left and right mouse buttons and holding them at the desktop also works.

TetonsGulf
August 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
@AmerNewbieInDE

Get to a Command line, or simply press ALT+F2 and type

ccsm

It will open your CompizConfig Settings Manager. From there click on the Desktop Cube. Select the Behaviour tab and make sure the checkbox for Inside Cube is not checked.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
thank you... was feeling alittle prizoned..lol

Sticks_uk
August 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
on a side note how do you change the "new" background when u have the cube held out there ?

TetonsGulf
August 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM
on a side note how do you change the "new" background when u have the cube held out there ?

Thats in those settings as well... it's called Skydome

Get to a Command line, or simply press ALT+F2 and type

ccsm

It will open your CompizConfig Settings Manager. From there click on the Desktop Cube. Select the Appearance tab, then the Skydome menu. Make sure the checkbox for Skydome is selected and you can then choose a new image at the Skydome image bar.

You may find further help here:

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/CCSM

Sticks_uk
August 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
thanks TG :)

AmerNewbieInDE
August 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM
from what i can tell, you can change that under the apperance tab in compizconfig. actually, yea, under skydome, select the pic you want for background, when you goto cube, you see the background you picked

ArmenianLeader4
August 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
what are you talking about? did i miss something? if you'd explain further, i may be able to help.

AmerNewbieInDE
August 10th, 2009, 11:23 PM
what are you talking about? did i miss something? if you'd explain further, i may be able to help.

Hmm, a couple of things actually... but mainly, is it possible to hold the cube as desktop after releasing the buttons

the other, which has been figured out, is how to change the background when in the cube

but actually, i like the sphere, so if you could tell me how to hold that.. it would be greatly appreciaed:P