January 30th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Here is the link to the article.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124519,00.asp#

ubuntu-geek
January 30th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Wow very cool!

Kelvin
January 30th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah! Arnieboy is famous... well, except the article doesn't mention him, only "the authors". He deserves some real credit for great piece of work. :D

Still, good news to get out. I've a server+Xubuntu install that I just ran Automatix on and it's brilliant. Sleek and fast on my old 733 PIII, with only the toys I want added.

~

earobinson
January 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Grats arnieboy, if you dont make a dapper release I hope someone will.

kassetra
January 30th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Congratulations arnieboy! :KS

Very cool writeup indeed!

KingBahamut
January 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM
WOOOHOOO, lets all get pints and sing pub songs.

earobinson
January 30th, 2006, 07:56 PM
sing "You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best..." http://webhome.idirect.com/~muskokajoe/lyric/rest.html

mstlyevil
January 30th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Woo hoo! PC World was where I first learned about Ubuntu. Great job Arnieboy.

arnieboy
January 30th, 2006, 08:04 PM
really appreciate that. thanks for all the support guys :)

bloodborne
January 30th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Very cool. Grats arnieboy! :)

poofyhairguy
January 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I emailed Matthew Newton about Automatix hoping he would mention it. But instead he did an entire freaking article about it in one of the most popular computer magazines on the earth. If he has a forum ID then it needs to be given a title now....

Congrats to Arnieboy- Automatix really made it! Now everyone will know how easy it is to use Ubuntu + Automatix.

Its funny, I even agree with him about this:

Also note that this option automatically installs the Adobe Acrobat Reader, a bloated little bugger that phones home to Adobe looking for updates and reporting goodness-knows-what. I prefer Gnome's built-in PDF and document viewer, Evince, which is installed by default on Breezy Badger machines. If you've upgraded to Firefox 1.5 and want to remove Acrobat Reader from your system, use Synaptic to remove the Acroread and Mozilla-Acroread packages.

Its very funny we agree on that. In fact this is overall awesome. He has pushed Ubuntu before, but this time Mr. Newton has outdone himself.

Let this be proof that Automatix IS filling a need. Some people DON'T like to copy things from wikis.

Also let it be known that it is up to us- the community- to further continue Arnie's work. Mr. Newton says:

Automatix works wonders for the current Breezy Badger version of Ubuntu Linux, and I hope that its authors update it for the next release, the Dapper Drake, when it arrives this spring.

We all know that Arnie does not intend to do this all by himself. So its up to some of us to help him move it forward. Maybe a new Automatix team needs to exist in the world? I have been working on learning scripting for a while now so I can help with this effort. Anyone else want to help too?

Now excuse me while I go be a jerk and link to this in the #ubuntu channel like 20 times. Everyone is allowed to put down the halo every now and then, and this is going to be mine for this month....

DigitalDuality
January 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Congrats :) It's well deserved.

riktzvet
January 30th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Very good article. Congrats!

Sp@z
January 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM
congrats man!!!!!!!! w00t! ARNIE FOR PRESIDENT@@@@@@@@@@@@ LOL

mstlyevil
January 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Now excuse me while I go be a jerk and link to this in the #ubuntu channel like 20 times. Everyone is allowed to put down the halo every now and then, and this is going to be mine for this month....

As Larry The Cable Guy says "Get er done"! Go give em hell!

earobinson
January 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I would offer help to any project, as I have been looking to start doing some coding for ubuntu.

Feel free to contact me about any coding project.

majikstreet
January 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I would offer help to any project, as I have been looking to start doing some coding for ubuntu.

Feel free to contact me about any coding project.
lol.... I think someone replied to the wrong thread?

anyway, that's cool! it's nice to know that they know of "non-windows oses".. I thought pc world was a windows magazine.. maybe I'm wrong.. (reminds me: in my computer class today there was a page my teacher made that had instructions for "mac" or "pc / windows"... I *almost* said you made a mistake.. there are other oses available for pc than windows... but I didn't.. One day I will say something lol)

earobinson
January 30th, 2006, 10:22 PM
nope was replying to http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=692995&postcount=11 ... really should have quoted, I think I got distracted mid post or something.

TechSonic
January 30th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I may be a EN ZERO ZERO BE (n00b) But Find something for me to do. I'll help with Automatix. Hell I'll even mirror it on my own site at www.techsonic.net if you like.

I was going to propose my site being a mirror anyways, just now got around to saying it.

PatrickMay16
January 30th, 2006, 11:33 PM
While I wouldn't use automatix myself, it's a great thing, and it's good to see that Arnieboy is getting the recognition he deserves for making it.
Congratulations, Arnieboy.

jerome bettis
January 30th, 2006, 11:50 PM
yeah ubuntu without using that was good

after running that it is \\:D/ it's almost as polished as windows, amazing. everything works automatically

dada1958
January 30th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I Like the articles by Free Agent very much but I have my thoughts with this one on some points. IMNSHO Adobe Reader is rendering PDFs better than Evince, facing pages are displayed correctly, odd pages on the right, enough reasons for me to keep it.
F-Spot crashes on me when I want to import photos from my camera, not that strange for a 0.1.3 version, gThumb is far more reliable in this field.
I use GnomeBaker for fast blanking my CD-RW's, the actual burning happens with Nautilus for the sake of reliability.
And Automatix is just good stuff :)

Bandit
January 31st, 2006, 12:12 AM
Wow, way to go Arnieboy... Your my role model! :)

kenweill
January 31st, 2006, 12:12 AM
Cool.
arnieboy, congrats!!!