PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphical glitches running Jaunty on MacBookPro1,1 w/ large screen setup

yipdw
August 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hello all,

I'm running into some graphical glitches with Jaunty on my first-generation MacBook Pro that I'm having trouble tracking down. Full info is below.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 1st-gen (so ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 graphics chip) hooked up to an external monitor running at 2560x1600. I have the laptop's LCD panel enabled, running at 1440x900, and have the two displays linked together in a single screen. I have attached xdpyinfo output for more information.

I occasionally get screen glitches that look like distorted parts of the displayed image. Running OpenGL applications triggers the problem: performing 3D manipulations in Blender, for example, will cause extreme screen glitching to the point of making Blender unusable. Other OpenGL applications will completely freeze the system; bzflag, for example, does this on my installation.

This problem does not occur when:

* I run in mirrored mode (i.e. 1440x900 mirrored on external and internal LCD)
* I run Windows XP or OS X, splitting a single screen across both displays, running at full resolution on both panels (so probably not a hardware issue)

I've tried to search for evidence of this bug and any possible workarounds in Launchpad, but the words I have at my disposal ("glitches", "radeon", "opengl", "jaunty", "mobility x1600", ...) are so general -- even in combination -- that filtering irrelevant results out is quite difficult.

Any pointers to further reading, or possible workarounds, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!