PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wifi and ethernet at the same time :S

codeking
August 7th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Downstairs is a computer for the family to use. Connected to it is a modem and router. The rest of the computers in the house get internet through wifi. Up in my office/room, I have a laptop and a desktop, which I sync through the house wifi.

Recently, our router's wifi broke. We bought a new one, but since the old one's ethernet capability was still fine, I figured I could speed up the syncing of my desktop and laptop by having it through ethernet, which is a lot faster than wireless-G. So I got both computers hooked up via ethernet.

But I realized I now have a problem: I have two network connections. One has internet, one doesn't. Is there anyway I can use both at one time? eg: Sync my computers and still use internet. Or is that a bit too complex, and I should just keep syncing with wifi, or only doing one at a time?

Iowan
August 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I haven't done it, but I suspect it can be done. The interface will (probably) need to be set up via /etc/network/interfaces, and a route will need to be created/added. It will be less involved if the ethernet connection is a different subnet than the wireless. If only the two machines are involved, static addresses might simplify things.

codeking
August 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
So I pretty much need the DHCP address on the wifi to be the default 192.168.1.* and on the local something else, like 192.168.2.* and use /etc/network/interfaces/ to redirect the proper address to the proper network?

Phew, sounds hard. I'm sure I'll figure it out though. :)

Iowan
August 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Sounds about right... but route, rather than /etc/network/interfaces will direct traffic flow. Check man route for details.

superprash2003
August 7th, 2009, 06:39 PM
hope this helps http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-setup-default-gateway-with-route-command/

codeking
August 8th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Tried using route, here's what I got:

theron@theron-desktop:~$ sudo route add default gw 192.168.2.2 eth0
SIOCADDRT: No such process