PDA

View Full Version : 5 Tips for Raising your Girl Geek

Sef
August 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Here's an article on Wired (http://www.wired.com/) by Natania Barron:

5 Tips for Raising your Girl Geek (http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/08/5-tips-for-raising-your-girl-geek/)

As geek parents, we often have rosy colored notions about our children growing up. We actually want them to be geeks. From the earliest of ages we dress them in WoW gear, teach them to quote Star Wars and wonder when is too early to start reading The Hobbit. We nurture them in the way of the Geek, hoping that, when the time comes for them to choose their path, they won’t stray far.

But being a geek kid isn’t easy; and being a geek girl might even be harder. Here are some things to keep in mind if you are raising a geek girl that might help her–and you–get through the school years.

Swagman
August 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM
A lot of that sounds just like my middle daughter "Kelly"

Viva
August 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Geeks are self-made. You can't make a geek out of somebody:popcorn:

Little Bit
August 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Geeks are self-made. You can't make a geek out of somebody:popcorn:

Maybe so, but there is a great pool of undiscovered feminine geekiness out there. I didn't know how much fun being a geek could be until I stumbled across Linux from a very clever (and very cute) boy who found the untapped geekiness in me!

Amy

Warren Watts
August 9th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I have a 14 year old geek daughter who does indeed listen to They Might Be Giants, and is looking forward to attending the 2009 Ohio Linux Fest.

macogw
August 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I have a 14 year old geek daughter who does indeed listen to They Might Be Giants, and is looking forward to attending the 2009 Ohio Linux Fest.

Awesome! Registered for Sunday's "Diversity in Open Source" workshop too? Please, please, please if there is ANY problem with people violating the "family-friendly environment" rule, tell one of the organizers and we'll deal with it.