PDA

View Full Version : Compiling USBIP staging modules

Leslie Viljoen
August 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I am trying to compile a client for the USBIP project here: http://usbip.sourceforge.net

The client needs two drivers to be built, and for 2.6.28+ kernels there is a note saying "try linux staging!". From that cryptic instruction I have noticed that I can go to my kernel headers in /usr/src/linux/linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic, run "sudo make menuconfig" and find the drivers I want under:

-> Device Drivers
-> Staging drivers│
-> Exclude Staging drivers from being built = n
-> USB IP support (EXPERIMENTAL)

Now, I can select the modules there but I don't know the next steps. I have tried "sudo make modules" but I get:

CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `kernel/bounds.c', needed by `kernel/bounds.s'. Stop.
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

Reading up on compiling kernels it is not clear to me if I need the full kernel source or can get by with just the headers. What say the gurus? :-)

Leslie Viljoen
August 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I have managed to start actually compiling by installing the full linux source and also "build dep linux". I really only want to compile two tiny modules but I don't know how to do that, so I did a "sudo make modules". This eventually compiled the ones I wanted in drivers/staging/usbip. So then I copied them by hand into my running kernel's /lib/modules directory (after backing it up) and ran 'sudo depmod'.

Now, running "sudo modprobe usbip_common_mod" gives:
FATAL: Error inserting usbip_common_mod (/lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic.ksplice-updates/kernel/drivers/staging/usbip/usbip_common_mod.ko): Invalid module format

I have tried using '-f', so it seems its not just a versioning problem. As you can see I am using KSplice too - not sure if that makes any difference.

Can someone suggest what I did wrong?