PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How Can I Dual-Boot OS9 And Ubuntu 6

BrandonG3
August 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hi!

I Am New To Ubuntu And Was Wondering How Do I Dual Boot OS9 And Ubuntu 6?

I Have Created 2 Hard Drive Partions With The OS9 CD.
Now I Have Started The 6.06 CD ( Going To Upgrade To 6.10 later ) And Gotten To The Installer Part Where I Have To Chose To Erase My Whole Drive, Divide It Up, Or Manually Partion It.

Please Help Me!

JOHNNYG713
August 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Hi my first question would be why are you wanting to use such antiquated operating systems both of which no longer have support and up dates, I would tell you to use ubuntu ppc 8.04 live cd and up grade to 8.10, then to 9.04, As 8.10 has an easier gui interface for the install, Any way that being said , load os 9 on your first partition, then load ubuntu manual partition to your second partition install yaboot on ext 3 and you should be good to go,after re boot you should see dialog in the upper left corner on which os to boot "L" for linux and "x" I believe for mac ,but I would seriously consider dumping both of them for one new ubuntu,lots of support and upgradeable ! I dual boot ubuntu 9.10 and panther,panther never gets booted on my ppc machine ,and triple boot my pc,Two ultimate editions, and one XP, at this point XP and Panther are out to pasture! good luck!:-)

BrandonG3
August 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I did try 8.04 but it was super slow!!!!!!

It was just way to slow for me!

BrandonG3
August 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Any way that being said , load os 9 on your first partition, then load ubuntu manual partition to your second partition install yaboot on ext 3 and you should be good to go,after re boot you should see dialog in the upper left corner on which os to boot "L" for linux and "x" I believe for mac
I don't get what your saying by ubuntu manual partion

Ranko95
August 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
why 6.06??? use a more recent version like 8.10 or 9.04. If you have intel graphics, stay away from 9.04

JOHNNYG713
August 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I don't get what your saying by ubuntu manual partion

Hi on install you go through several windows when it gets to the partitioner you want to select "manual" partition so you can place ubuntu in the unused partition, when asked were to place boot loader choose ext 3, let me ask, what machine are you installing on? I have worked with many different linux distros, if I knew what machine, video card and memory I could better assist you,:D

BrandonG3
August 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I Am Using A iMac G3 333MHz, And 384 MB Of Ram