PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro without a CD drive

flyingtabmow
August 4th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'd like to install Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro (intel, 2,2), but my CD drive is broken (can't burn...). I don't have access to a Windows or Linux computer, so I can't use Unetbootin to create a bootable USB version of the install disk. I do have an external USB HD that has an empty partition I can use (I can't reformat the entire disk), an external FireWire drive that also can be partitioned but can't be reformatted, or an internal partition on my computer where the installation disk content could be copied. I'd like to dual boot, so I've installed rEFIt, and created an empty partition where I will put Ubuntu. Now the question is, how do I actually boot the installer without a LiveCD or a thumbdrive/Unetbootin? Is this even possible? I can't find any information on how to do this from a Mac OS X environment (there are Windows and Linux instructions, but the tools they use don't seem to be available under OS X). I'm guessing there must be a way to copy the contents of the installation iso to one of the partitions I have access to and somehow make that partition bootable using perhaps syslinux, but I have no experience with that at all. Has anyone done this sort of thing/know what magic incantations must be invoked?