PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can i install vista ultimate ???

NOTAGEEK
August 4th, 2009, 11:47 AM
i just got a copy of vista ultimate and need to know if i can install it with my current partition set up...

i dont remember the command to check how my partitions are set up...

help with command ???

thanks...

HostBot
August 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM
When you install Windows you will most likely be asked to partition your HD with a windows

partition, then it can install. Then you can reinstall Ubuntu.

HavocXphere
August 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Vista needs to be activated, so a "copy" won't fly.

As for the question, google repairing grub. Basically vista blows grub away and then you need to fix it again...then both *nix and vista are listed in grub.

-=hazard=-
August 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM
i just got a copy of vista ultimate and need to know if i can install it with my current partition set up...

i dont remember the command to check how my partitions are set up...

help with command ???

thanks...

$df (in kilobytes)

$df -h (in gigabytes)

Installing windows after Linux will create problems because windows doesn't recognize other distros.

superprash2003
August 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM
you could install vista after which you would need to follow this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows .. presuming you are planning on a dual boot

NOTAGEEK
August 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Vista needs to be activated, so a "copy" won't fly.

As for the question, google repairing grub. Basically vista blows grub away and then you need to fix it again...then both *nix and vista are listed in grub.

poor choice of verbiage from a non-geek !!! this is a new retail unopened vista ultimate os and i would like to install the 64 bit version !!!

i would like to check the way my partitions are currently set up 2 c if i am ok the way they r set...

thanks...

NOTAGEEK
August 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
you could install vista after which you would need to follow this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows .. presuming you are planning on a dual boot

ok i think i had better rephrase my question...

what is the command to look at my current partitions ???

lisati
August 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM
ok i think i had better rephrase my question...

what is the command to look at my current partitions ???

fdisk -l
(that's little "ell" not number one)

NOTAGEEK
August 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
fdisk -l(that's little "ell" not number one)

thanks---i needed sudo...

sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for topsecret:

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xdc0fdc0f

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 2432 19535008+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 2433 26747 195310237+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 26748 27355 4883760 82 Linux swap / Solaris

kayvortex
August 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM
It looks like you have 11557 cylinders free, which is about 88Gb. That should be plenty for Vista, but remember to put it on a primary partition. Also, since your other three partitions are primary too, that's all the partitions you can have on that disk, so you might as well use all the space up.

As already mentioned, you'll have to reinstall grub after you install Vista since it will write over the MBR and all that will happen when you boot up is that Vista will start up. Take a look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351) for instructions on how to reinstall grub.

NOTAGEEK
August 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
It looks like you have 11557 cylinders free, which is about 88Gb. That should be plenty for Vista, but remember to put it on a primary partition. Also, since your other three partitions are primary too, that's all the partitions you can have on that disk, so you might as well use all the space up.

As already mentioned, you'll have to reinstall grub after you install Vista since it will write over the MBR and all that will happen when you boot up is that Vista will start up. Take a look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351) for instructions on how to reinstall grub.

thanks kayvortex---i ended up just installing 64 bit vista ult for now my ubuntu was a 32 bit disc that i bought on ebay... later i will install 64 bit ubuntu as soon as my pc experience and know how increases...

Tux118
August 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I seriously would not suggest Windows Vista. It is bigger, slower, has more pop-up messages, and things are not compatible. If you want a Windows, I would get Windows XP, 2003, or 7 when it releases.

tarps87
August 5th, 2009, 12:48 PM
thanks kayvortex---i ended up just installing 64 bit vista ult for now my ubuntu was a 32 bit disc that i bought on ebay... later i will install 64 bit ubuntu as soon as my pc experience and know how increases...

I would suggest downloading Ubuntu from here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Or you can order a free copy from here:
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Although there is noting to stop people from selling Ubuntu on at a profit, but I would advise against buying a copy from ebay as you don't know if the seller has tampered with the source code. Just a warning.

Sef
August 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
...but remember to put it on a primary partition.Windows needs to be on your first primary partition.

Mark Phelps
August 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I seriously would not suggest Windows Vista. It is bigger, slower, has more pop-up messages, and things are not compatible. If you want a Windows, I would get Windows XP, 2003, or 7 when it releases.

Exactly what does this remark have to do with the op's request?? He already indicated that he has a retail DVD and simply wants to know how to install it.

kayvortex
August 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Windows needs to be on your first primary partition.

Yes, but it wouldn't be that much of problem, would it? Windows wont recognize the ext3 partitions (I'm not sure about the swap partition come to think of it), so there shouldn't be any problems with disk labels.

Although there is noting to stop people from selling Ubuntu on at a profit, but I would advise against buying a copy from ebay as you don't know if the seller has tampered with the source code. Just a warning.

I'd second that. Why buy it from ebay when you can download it for free?

I'd also be careful with the 64bit version. I don't know about the situation now, but my early experience was that some programs/libraries had yet to be built for that architecture. In my case, the lack of a fan-controlling daemon for my Inspiron 9400 was too dangerous a situation to run the 64bit version on my laptop. But, if everything seems to run fine on your system, then stick with it.

tarps87
August 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yes, but it wouldn't be that much of problem, would it? Windows wont recognize the ext3 partitions (I'm not sure about the swap partition come to think of it), so there shouldn't be any problems with disk labels.

It's a windows thing, it wants to be on the first partition regardless of if it understands any of the other partitions, or at least this is the case up to xp, when I tried vista that was on the first primary partition too. It will run happily on the first partition of another (slave) hard drive.
I don't know why there is this problem but I can guess it is related to the bootloader windows uses

I'd second that. Why buy it from ebay when you can download it for free?

I'd also be careful with the 64bit version. I don't know about the situation now, but my early experience was that some programs/libraries had yet to be built for that architecture. In my case, the lack of a fan-controlling daemon for my Inspiron 9400 was too dangerous a situation to run the 64bit version on my laptop. But, if everything seems to run fine on your system, then stick with it.

I'm using the 64bit version on my desktop and haven't had any incompatibility problems so far, can't say about the fan daemon as I don't have a Inspiron 9400

NOTAGEEK
August 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM
thanks to all...

thread closed...