PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64 bit flash plugin - Firefox 3.5.2

expatCM
August 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I have just upgraded to Firefox 3.5.2 and flash stopped working.

So I downloaded the latest 64 bit flash plugin from the Adobe site and unpacked. I created a directory in the Home directory at /username/.mozilla/plugins and copied the .so file there.

I restarted Firefox and entered about:plugins in the address bar. No plugins are found.

I have taken a look on google and what I have done appears to be correct. Some people report problems with amd64 which happens to be what I am running but I do not see any suggestions of how to proceed.

I have uninstalled through synaptic the existing flashplugin and the swf files ... but no change.

Any suggestion what may be wrong?

Ubun2 Us3r
August 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I had this same problem and this worked for me
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1230177

expatCM
August 5th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Nice link, thank you.

It did not work for me. The script ran but then I got the following error messages.....

libflashplayer.so
cp: cannot stat `install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory
nspluginwrapper: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so is not a valid NPAPI plugin

prkos
August 5th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I got the same message at the end of the install process

Finally I just installed from synaptic and copied the /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so into .mozilla/plugins and now flash works :)

expatCM
August 5th, 2009, 04:51 AM
out of total despair I just copied the libflashplayer.so file to several locations .... basically if it looked good then put a copy there. I started the browser again and .... amazing, it works :)

At some stage I will rename then delete files to find out which one is being used ... but not yet ...

LaPalida
March 7th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Found the solution:

from here http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/install-flash-10-ubuntu-linux-64bit.html in comment 156

James Shields 01.16.10 at 2:22 pm

Thanks for the script.

Had to tweak in slightly because libflashplayer.so ended up in my home directory rather than a install_flash_player_10_linux/ subdir.

Thanks!

James

- just make that sub dir in the home folder
- move the .so file into it
- re-run the script

the error occurs because in the script it's pointing to a directory that does not exist or isn't created.

OR

you can just edit the script and remove the offending directory.

the line sudo cp install_flash_player_10_linux/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
should be changed to sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/