PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Mac OSX programs on Ubuntu?

Grifulkin
August 3rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Okay so I was on Wikipedia just looking up random stuff and came across the fact that Mac OSX is a unix system. And I know the linux kernel is a derivative of the Unix kernel. Now my question is, is it theoretically possible to use programs written for mac and install them on Ubuntu?

This question comes about because I read the other day that the Linux kernel can run programs designed for the Unix kernel without much problem.

llamabr
August 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
If you can get the source, probably. mac osx uses a sort of bsd kernel.

Most of the things you'll find for download will be closed source, and so not compiled for use on your system.

What, exactly, app did you have in mind?

juancarlospaco
August 3rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
CocoTron can run OS X programs on Linux,
still under development,
its kinda wine thing but for running OS X apps

cabrey
August 3rd, 2009, 11:50 PM
No as OS X apps usually use the Cocoa framework which is proprietary. Unless a project is started that does what WINE does but for the Mac, I don't see OS X apps ever running on Linux.

OutOfReach
August 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Okay so I was on Wikipedia just looking up random stuff and came across the fact that Mac OSX is a unix system. And I know the linux kernel is a derivative of the Unix kernel. Now my question is, is it theoretically possible to use programs written for mac and install them on Ubuntu?

This question comes about because I read the other day that the Linux kernel can run programs designed for the Unix kernel without much problem.

No Mac OS and Linux are not directly related, so no I would say that Mac apps cannot natively run on Linux unless it was made cross-platform compatible

Grifulkin
August 3rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Thank you, everyone, I was just wondering thats all, just curious.

schauerlich
August 4th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Most OS X apps use Cocoa, which is proprietary and not Unix related. However, anything written for the POSIX API (not much) should run on Ubuntu without issue.

juancarlospaco
August 6th, 2009, 01:48 AM
OS X apps usually use the Cocoa framework which is proprietary. Unless a project is started that does what WINE does but for the Mac,

CocoTron is reverse ingeneering the Cocoa thing,
but still under development ATM.

Remember that Wine started as a
"project to try to run Windows 3.0 apps on Linux"
and see what they do with years of development.
Some day...