PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 9.04 on netbook?(not ubuntu netbook remix)

JacKeown
August 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
I was wondering if I could install ubuntu 9.04 on a netbook and not use the netbook remix. I have two more related questions too.
1: how well would it work?
2: how would I install it with no dvd/cd drive?

Thanks in advance,
JacKeown
:guitar:

P.S.It has a 160 gb. harddrive, 1gb. of ddr2 ram, and 1.6ghz processor speed if that helps anyone

RJ12
August 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
you would be able to burn the iso to a flash drive

P.S. they have a Asus Netbook with a DVD/CD Drive

wil08son
August 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
I think, with those specs, your netbook should handle Ubuntu just fine.

It should work fine, seeing as how Ubuntu is sometimes pitched as a way to resurrect old computers, and your netbook probably has more zip than some computers running Ubuntu.

If you can get your hands on an external CD drive, that'd probably be the best way to install Ubuntu. If not, you can google "Ubuntu install from flash drive" and see what comes up.

JacKeown
August 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM
thanks lots

peakshysteria
August 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Running Ubuntu 9.04.1 Jaunty Jackalope smooth on HP 2133 Mini-Note. Downloaded the ISO via torrent. Installed via external DVD Drive just like my ordinary installs. Nothing to it really.

Some old,but maybe helpfull info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HP2133#Installing%20from%20a%20USB/SD%20Flash%20Drive

Some of it might be outdated for all I know. I installed Jaunty smooth like on all the housholds machines. No problems at all. I haven't tested external monitor/projector/tv yet. But this should also work. Wifi working out of the bow. Also booted out of the box with the right resolution.

snowpine
August 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Do you already have Netbook Remix installed? If so, all you need to do is use the Desktop Switcher to change from the netbook launcher to the "classic" gnome desktop.

If you don't have Ubuntu installed, you can either use an external CD drive, or use usb-creator or unetbootin to create a "live USB" of the Ubuntu CD.

Ubuntu and Netbook are the same core system, different user interface, so if one works on your hardware, the other will too.

peakshysteria
August 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Some more info on your current specs would be nice. The more details the faster you'll get help. No info = possible no help.

JacKeown
August 3rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Do you already have Netbook Remix installed? If so, all you need to do is use the Desktop Switcher to change from the netbook launcher to the "classic" gnome desktop.

If you don't have Ubuntu installed, you can either use an external CD drive, or use usb-creator or unetbootin to create a "live USB" of the Ubuntu CD.

Ubuntu and Netbook are the same core system, different user interface, so if one works on your hardware, the other will too. Thanks so much

LewRockwell
August 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1222961