PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless stops transmitting (stays connected though) when screen is turned off

rainwalker
August 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I usually leave stuff downloading overnight, but I've noticed that when my laptop's screen (ThinkPad W700) turns off after the amount of time set in System > Administration > Power Management, my wireless stays connected but stops transmitting. The wireless activity light stops blinking, and, upon unlocking my computer, I see that Transmission is neither uploading nor downloading and no pages load in Firefox. Reconnecting to my wireless network resumes everything as normal.
I've tried changing the time it takes before the display is turned off and this always happens, so I know there is a correlation. I'm using the v185.18.14 Nvidia drivers with an Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, and dual-booting with Vista on my second hard drive.

Any suggestions?

rainwalker
August 3rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Okay, apparently this happens when I close the lid of my laptop, too, when I have it set to show a "Blank screen". Everything works fine when it's set to "Do nothing", though, so I'm not sure where the line is drawn between shutting off the wireless and keeping it on :?