PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop environments

wirate
August 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I want to know what choices I have in desktop environments like gnome and kde in ubuntu 9.04. Which one of them has the best looks? (transparencies, animations etc)

motrax
August 3rd, 2009, 08:54 AM
I want to know what choices I have in desktop environments like gnome and kde in ubuntu 9.04. Which one of them has the best looks? (transparencies, animations etc)

Use KDE if you want good looks. Just check that you got a good graphics card. Personally I use GNOME. LXDE and XFCE are some lightweight window managers that you can try. They don't have those cool effects, but are very fast.

credobyte
August 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
I suspect you are a Windows user, so ..

Kubuntu / KDE - Windows Vista/7
Ubuntu / Gnome - Windows XP
Xubuntu / XFCE - Windows 98 :D

Katalog
August 3rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
You can install them both and use them on the same Ubuntu install. You just have to choose which environment you want to use when you get to the GDM log in dialog. So why not just install both and form an opinion for yourself? And of couse there are WAY more environments than those two as well, like Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE, Enlightenment, etc. Everyone's got their own opinion since they are a fan of one DE or another, so I think trying them out yourself is still the best option.

Better yet, why not make a bootable Ubuntu disc and try them out that way? Would probably be less hassle.

Crunchy the Headcrab
August 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Well. I used to think that KDE looked better out of the box. However, I think it was just because I didn't know how to use gnome. Set up a good theme with some things like transparency for eye-candy and it looks very sexy. I like to run Gnome with AWN dock and Conky (and no desktop icons). The combination just hits me the right way. If you want to see some examples of what is possible check out the screenshot threads in the community cafe. Some people have some pretty amazing setups.

wirate
August 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Set up a good theme with some things like transparency for eye-candy and it looks very sexy. I like to run Gnome with AWN dock and Conky (and no desktop icons)

How do I do that?

Katalog
August 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
How do I do that?

You need to have Compiz installed in GNOME (I think it;s already installed by default anyway), go to Prefrences>Appearance>Visual Effects and adjust your themes and transparancies from there. And you need to use Emerald themes rather than regular Metacity themes to get to the pretty little window borders, then it's just a matter of how well your graphics card will be able to handle all these cutesy little effects.

t0p
August 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Gnome's best. No, kde. I mean xfce. I mean...

Try 'em all. Assuming you're starting from default ubuntu (gnome), type into a terminal:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop xubuntu-desktop

Logout. Now, from the login page you can select which desktop environment to use by clicking on [b]Sessions/b] and choosing from the list. Gnome. KDE. XFCE. Collect 'em all! :)

pmlxuser
August 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
The best solution for you is just to browse the site http://www.kde.org , http://www.gnome.org/ or to check out which one you find more appealing. true to the fact that the graphics card also plays a role in achiving the best appeal of a desktop.
basically am saying you have two choices its either gnome or kde.