PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thunderbird preferences

Tafkam7
August 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hi, I'm a new Ubuntu user like everyone else here, and this is my first forum post here. I have a Windows partition as well as unfortunately I need it for AutoCAD, Microstation and Sonar, but almost everything else I'm now doing on Linux.
I'm having a bit of a problem with Thunderbird. It's sending and receiving fine, but there's a couple of annoyances.
In TB for Windows preferences I can choose to have items 'marked as junk' to go directly to 'trash'. They go there straight away but I can still see that there's something there as a bold number in brackets (2) appears next to the folder. This means I can have a quick look to make sure nothing unintended has gone to trash. Then I have the preferences set to delete trash on exit, so I don't have to think about them anymore.
Now...in TB for Linux a few things happen differently. First of all if I set the preferences to send items 'marked as junk' to the trash, they get deleted straight away, so I can't check them. So, I changed it to have the 'marked as junk' go to the 'junk' folder instead, but I can't set this to automatically delete when TB closes. I also can't find the option to empty the trash folder on exit.
Another thing too. When new mail comes in, it's not bold until I read it , like it is in TB for Windows, and I can't see where to set it. I tried changing the "wait X seconds before marking as read" parameter, but it didn't make any difference.
Many thanks to any who can enlighten me! :)

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)

CatKiller
August 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
Account Preferences → Junk Settings → Move new junk messages to: → Other. Set this to the Deleted folder. (As an alternative, you could set the "Automatically delete junk mail older than" setting to 0 or 1 days.)

Account Preferences → Server Settings → Empty Deleted folder on Exit.

Tafkam7
August 3rd, 2009, 03:30 AM
Thanks :P that solved the deleted items issue, still trying to get other things to work properly, lol