PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Firefox 3.5.1

motorcity909
August 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hi all, I'm new to Ubuntu but am finding my way around it okay. I've moved away from WinXP following a virus and a failed reinstall.

However, one thing I am struggling with is updating Firefox from version 3.0.12 that was included to version 3.5.1 that is out now and I use on my Windows machines. I used the Package Manager to install it and it even created a new folder called 'firefox 3.5.1' but once I open FF, it still shows as 3.0.12 in About.

Don't worry, this isn't going to make me leave Ubuntu, but an FF upgrade does seem easier on Windows. Please help!

llamabr
August 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/197/install-firefox-3-5-1-in-ubuntu-using-ubuntuzilla

This one is a bit tricky, but I wouldn't go calling windows package manager easier.

The way that have it now, 3.5.1 can exist beside your current one, so you can have both. can windows do that?

anyway, run the python script, and it'll change your defaults.

oldsoundguy
August 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
You will find that the builds either will not add the newest Firefox or other Mozilla products OR will be way behind before they hit the repositories.

Use the Ubuntuzilla python script to enable the install of the new version of anything Mozilla WHEN it appears on the Source Forge site.

Here is an explanation and links:
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2009/07/15/install-firefox-35-in-ubuntu-904-using-ubuntuzilla/

joriad
August 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
You can get specific instructions here (http://ubuntumanual.org/posts/193/installing-firefox-3-5-in-ubuntu-the-easy-way)

This is the same thing as llamabr has suggested and it works relatively simple. Just follow the instructions and restart your system and you're in business.

joriad
August 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Also glad to see more people pulling away from the Microsoft Machine and converting to Linux. Welcome aboard.

SunnyRabbiera
August 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Well do keep in mind that 3.5 is an optional upgrade right now.
Also if you did install 3.5 its actually listed as shiretoko under applications> internet, shiretoko is the coede name of firefox 3.5.
This has a lot to do with the Ubuntu upgrade policy, instead of trying for "latest and greatest" Ubuntu aims for stability even considering using Jaunty the latest version.
If 3.5 was a major security update then it would have been made to overwrite 3.0.12 but since its not Firefox 3.5 is an optional upgrade.

motorcity909
August 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all your help. I've run Ubuntuzilla, all seemed to work fine, told me it was installing 3.5.1 and even said it was pointing the shortcut to the new version.........but when I opened FF it was still 3.0.12.

Should I uninstall the old version first, through Package Manager, then try again?

Or maybe I should stop worrying, relax and learn to re-love 3.0.12?

motorcity909
August 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
UPDATE - walked away from machine, went upstairs, came back, FF is now 3.5.1!!!

Patience is a virtue.

Thanks everyone.

Joeb454
August 2nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
UPDATE - walked away from machine, went upstairs, came back, FF is now 3.5.1!!!

Patience is a virtue.

Thanks everyone.

Chances are that there was still a window open from 3.0.12 - you have to close all firefox windows (i.e. completely end the process) before 3.5.1 would launch :)

caro
August 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Since Shiretoko (FF 3.5) hasn't officially been made the default but is in the repositories, I just added a launcher to the top panel and use it.

foska
August 3rd, 2009, 04:59 AM
Phew!....I was beginning to think I'd never get this done. Thanks guys!!!

DiabolusItalicus
August 4th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Same fear to never see the stock FF 3.0.x updated... :frown:
and same relief in seeing how smooth is has been to get FF 3.5.2 (truly freshly brewed!) with Ubuntuzilla. 8-)

10^6 thanks!

colau
August 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Easiest way to install firefox-3.5!
psychocats (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox)