PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Synaptic Doesn't Seem To Have Updated All Packages List

ajacx
August 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
I just did a fresh 9.04 install followed by a complete update. After this I went about looking for apps I'd been using on the old install and couldn't find them on synaptic. My software sources seems to indicate that it includes the universe and multi-verse, and when I look for some of these apps in Add/Remove I am able to find them. For example, when I search for gnucash in Synaptic it turns up nothing whereas when I look under Add/Remove it gives me the option to install it.

While I'm perfectly fine with installing from the terminal, there are some reasons why I prefer using Synaptic. I like searching for new apps on synaptic by typing in a few keywords and seeing what all is available, and there are some of these searches which don't show up in the Add/Remove option, for example John the Ripper. Just to be specific, I'm not looking for additional repositories or software sources, just the defaults that come with ubuntu.

Have I missed out some additional steps to enable the repositories on Synaptic? By default on 9.04 I think the universe and multiverse are enabled, and I've reloaded the list several times to no avail.

Thanks!

vinutux
August 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
If you are able to find a app in add-remove or apt-get it is in synaptic...sure [all of installation progs like synaptic,add-remove using same info for installing software]

ajacx
August 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
If you are able to find a app in add-remove or apt-get it is in synaptic...sure [all of installation progs like synaptic,add-remove using same info for installing software]

Thanks for your reply vinutux. I realize my error now, I was using the Quick Search box, assuming that all supported packages were listed. When I use the search option I am able to find packages. I guess I found it slightly strange because it seemed to work differently on my old installation i.e. I could just type the name or part of the description in the Quick Search option and find all related apps. And also I guess because I do have "all" selected for each filter, so I anticipated that all the what, 28-29k apps would be listed. Has this changed recently or have I still just got my filter incorrectly configured? Anyway, since the search option seems to work, that looks more efficient to me.

Cheers.

longtom
August 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
Using 8.04 but fiddling arround with 9.04 for testing purposes, I noticed the same.

I believe the interface changed in 8.10