PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to Connect to IRC for the First Time

AxelMan0
August 2nd, 2009, 06:10 AM
I'm trying to use Pidgin to connect to the IRC channel #ubuntu-beginners. I registered with nickserv and it tells me that I am already logged in. I do not see any activity in the channel, however, and when I try to say anything it says 'Unable to send message: Not logged in".

Edit: Okay now it's not giving me that not logged in message so I'm assuming the rooms are just empty?

pedro3005
August 2nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
The program XChat comes with ubuntu, and is better for IRC. Go to Applications, Internet, XChat IRC.
Select Freenode or type /server irc.freenode.org , then /nick to your registered nick. Then type '/msg NickServ identify password' , changing password to the password you chose. Now, /j #ubuntu-beginners . If that doesn't work, come back and post error message :)

credobyte
August 2nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Rooms are not empty - there should be at least a few people :) Regarding IRC clients - XChat, Konversation ( my fav ), etc.

nhasian
August 16th, 2009, 06:35 AM
xchat does come in the ubuntu repositories but i dont think its installed by default. you can easily install it from add/remove programs or simply typing in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install xchat

I should point out that you shouldnt install the program xchat-gnome, you want the plain xchat one.

meindian523
August 16th, 2009, 08:05 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=679874