PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password Not Asked for when accessing root or installing apps

virtualsamana
August 2nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
I am using a live boot off of a USB of Ubuntu 8.10. For some reason it's not asking me for a password to install apps or to go to etc file. Not sure if this is the default. Is there a way for me to get it to ask for a password?

Thanks

aysiu
August 2nd, 2009, 04:21 AM
It is the default for the live session. Once you install it, though, your installed version will ask for a password at appropriate times.

virtualsamana
August 2nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks a lot aysiu. Do you know if there is a way to configure the live session with persistence to ask for a password?

schauerlich
August 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks a lot aysiu. Do you know if there is a way to configure the live session to ask for a password?

Why would you need it to? And to answer your question, you could try to create a new user, give it sudo access and start the live session as that user... But again, I'm not sure what the point of it would be.

virtualsamana
August 4th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Why would you need it to?

I was under the assumption that having a password would make the system more secure from malware, viruses and other bad things trying to install themselves.

Ubun2 Us3r
August 4th, 2009, 05:42 AM
there actually isn't that many Trojans or malware on Ubuntu to worry about. They are windows problems :)

mikechant
August 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Do you know if there is a way to configure the live session with persistence to ask for a password?

If you want persistence, why not do a standard install to the this USB drive (from another USB drive or LiveCD)?