PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Have Firestarter start when I logon

zer010
August 2nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
How do I have Firestarter start whenever Ubuntu is logged into, no matter what user logs in? If there's a better firewall, let me know about that too. Thanks!

wojox
August 2nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
ufw - Uncomplicated Firewall is installed by default but not enabled. It's a better firewall. Here's a link to give you some more info and it automatically loads. Firestarter is the gui for ip tables

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Uncomplicated_Firewall_ufw

HiImTye
August 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
firestarter is loaded as firestarter is just the easy user interface to iptables. the only reason you would need firestarter open at all times is to view the logs within firestarter. keeping firestarter open at all times, however, can be quite laggy.

ufw is a good solution. just 'sudo ufw enable' and it will be on. you can customize it very easily, for instance, to enable windows-networking. there is also something called 'gufw'.

ad_267
August 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Firestarter doesn't have to be running for you to be protected, iptables is always running and Firestarter just configure iptables. That's my understanding anyways, I haven't used Firestarter.

HiImTye
August 2nd, 2009, 01:57 AM
Firestarter doesn't have to be running for you to be protected, iptables is always running and Firestarter just configure iptables. That's my understanding anyways, I haven't used Firestarter.
you are correct

ayenack
August 2nd, 2009, 02:56 AM
Firestarter is running at boot if you installed it from the repo's. The only part that is not running is the GUI. It's better to just start the GUI manually and then enter your password.

Decided to delete the howto on how to start the GUI at login it's not secure.

If you want to see the firestarter status type this in terminal

sudo /etc/init.d/firestarter status

zer010
August 4th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Very insightful. Thanks so much for the great feedback! I, so do love this community! I've been running Ubuntu exclusivly for a couple months, and I've never looked back, and NEVER will!!! Thank you everyone!!!