PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ClamAV vulnerability found. Workaround?

tomasrey88
August 1st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Because of licensing requirements, ClamAV cannot scan RAR files for viruses. I would like to find all RAR files on my Windows (FAT32) hard drive partitions by scanning for them with a command. After examining the file names that are found, I would like to delete suspicious and/or not currently useful files. What terminal command(s) would I use? Please tell me exactly what I would need to type as I am a total Linux/Ubuntu noob. I just started using Linux a couple of days ago. Thanks.

I can use

sudo find /directory/subdirectory/*.rar

and

sudo find /directory/subdirectory/*.r00

However, this would not work

sudo find/directory/*.rar

In other words, find cannot find a file type by looking file-by-file in my entire hard drive. It can only look into one subdirectory or folder at one time. Is there a command that will allow me to look in the entire hard drive for a specific file type or file extension? Thanks.

Agent ME
August 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
You're not using the find command right. The first argument to find is the directory to search, not some sort of pattern to match. Try looking at the man pages ("man find") to see how exactly the syntax of find works.

You also don't need to use sudo, unless you're searching an area the user doesn't have reading privileges (ie. some odd system files and other users' files). For searching a FAT partition (like one mounted under /media), your user probably has full rights to it already and no sudo is needed.

This command will do what you want:

find /some/folder -iname "*.rar" -o -iname "*.r00"