PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Atheros AR242x wireless controller and compat-wireless

Something Else
August 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM
I've been using a budget-line Compaq laptop which has an AR242x wireless controller from Atheros. It was running out of the box when I first put 8.10 on the system, but future kernel upgrades stopped the drivers from working - so I'd just been booting into an old kernel. After upgrading to 9.04, however, it was working out of the box again - until I rebooted, and presto! the wireless card was no longer detected by the system, even though there was supposedly an active proprietary driver.

I went to the compat-wireless site, downloaded and made the package, and after typing "make load," it appeared to work. Here's what I got.

ath5k loaded successfully
Module bcm43xx not detected -- this is fine
b43 loaded successfully
b43legacy loaded successfully

My networking applet now shows a "wireless networks" tab, but cannot see any networks. Further, I installed the wifi-radar package, to make sure it wasn't somehow a problem with GNOME and not the hardware drivers, and the terminal output says:

wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Device or resource busy

Does anyone have any idea how I can resolve this issue and get my wireless back up and running? If going back to proprietary drivers will work, I'll do it - but I think that was what was working and stopped for no particular reason.

Something Else
August 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM
iwconfig results:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off