PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Microphone difficulty

EM man
August 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM
I successfully installed Skype yesterday and tried to do a video-audio call with a friend. My laptop's speakers and the webcam work well with Ubuntu. However, the microphone is not being recognized. I tried to fix it by going to System ---> Preferences---> Sound but it didn't work. Thoughts?

Prospero2006
August 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Skype has an audio device options panel that you can try.

EM man
August 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
I tried that. For the "Sound In" field the default text is "/dev/dsp" (as it is for the "Sound Out" and "Ringing" fields). I am unable to modify it, though.

nwadams
August 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM
did you install skype out of the medibuntu repository? are u using 9.04?
if you run the gnome sound recorder application in the audio/video tab of applications can you record audio with that program?

sorry its a lot of questions but if you have any questions about anything make sure you ask. and to install medibuntu look up medibuntu in google and there should be some very good instructions.

EM man
August 1st, 2009, 09:41 PM
did you install skype out of the medibuntu repository?

Yes.

are u using 9.04?

Yes.

if you run the gnome sound recorder application in the audio/video tab of applications can you record audio with that program?

Yes.

sorry its a lot of questions but if you have any questions about anything make sure you ask. and to install medibuntu look up medibuntu in google and there should be some very good instructions.

No problem, and I'm not in a rush to get it working. It's one of a very small number of things that I'm trying to take care of. Essentially everything else has worked flawlessly, and I am very impressed with Ubuntu.

EM man
August 2nd, 2009, 01:48 AM
Nevermind, it works now. I didn't change anything, but all of a sudden the test call works, and I am having a audio-video call with my friend.