PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange, intermittent video out of sync problem

angleet
August 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help with this strange problem. I have installed 9.04 on a Compaq which has a PCI ATI Radeon 9200 card installed. Now this is working, mostly, using the ati and radeon drivers. The fglrx driver does not work at all, as it is only a 9200 Pro w/ 128MB.

So it gets up and running and is going fine. I'll watch something on hulu, browse for awhile, all seems well, and then suddenly the monitor (a ViewSonic) goes black and complains that is is out of sync. It reports a H and V refresh rate in the 20s!

The computer is still running. Sometimes this occurs during video playback (though sometimes not) and I can hear the sound still playing. But nothing seems to bring the video back.

I have turned off all screen savers and power settings I can find. I hope someone can help! I am stumped.

edit: I should mention that this computer is dual boot with Windows XP and this never happens on the XP side. I mention this so you don't think it is a fault with the hardware itself. Also, I believe there is an SiS video card on the motherboard.