PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] dual-boot with OSX:partitioning

ichigo
July 31st, 2009, 05:58 AM
I will get a a 13,3" unibody Macbook Pro in a few days and am going to install ubuntu as dual-boot on it.
I've already done some search and found some tutorials. There's basically just one question I couldn't find an answer for: If I want to create a data partition which can be accessed from both OS (with writing support), how do I have to format it?
Does it have to be FAT32?

Chauncellor
July 31st, 2009, 07:23 AM
There is support for ext3 out there. But since ext4 just got popular and stable, there hasn't yet been any support for it on MacOS, so you'd have to use ext3. Still better than FAT32!:popcorn:

ichigo
July 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
do you have to install drivers to make ext3 run on OS X?

Chauncellor
July 31st, 2009, 05:28 PM
Here is a SourceForge project for mounting Ext2 on MacOS.

Using that, you can mount Ext3 on MacOS, but the journaling will be ignored. So it's still a safe process, I believe.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

There may be a bit of commandline work, and it might be read-only by default, but the website will enlighten you.

I get the feeling that if this doesn't work, you'll have to use FAT32, in which I give you my deepest sympathies.

I've never done this before as I don't use MacOS, I'm just aware of the information.

Good luck!:popcorn:

ichigo
August 1st, 2009, 05:04 AM
thanks for the link! I was a bit surpriced to see that the latest version was publidhed in 3 years ago.
Anyway, I will give it a try when I have some time left!