PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Processor Sound

seeuamit
July 30th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Hi,
I Have Dell Studio 5555 Laptop with following configurations:
processor: Intel Core2 duo P8600 @2.4GHz
Ram : 4GB 800mhz

When I run on Ubuntu the processor sounds too much as compared to when i run on Win Xp. Any Solution to reduce the noisy sound in ubuntu? Any Settings in ubuntu to reduce the processor sound?
Thanks
Amit

PurposeOfReason
July 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Processors do not make any noise, they have no moving parts. The fan could be what you are talking about, if so it is probably on auto from the BIOS settings and going at that speed for temp reasons. You could check how hot the CPU is by adding that applet to the panel.

Katalog
July 30th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hi,
I Have Dell Studio 5555 Laptop with following configurations:
processor: Intel Core2 duo P8600 @2.4GHz
Ram : 4GB 800mhz

When I run on Ubuntu the processor sounds too much as compared to when i run on Win Xp. Any Solution to reduce the noisy sound in ubuntu? Any Settings in ubuntu to reduce the processor sound?
Thanks
Amit

Not sure what you mean by processor sound (excessive fan noise, too much hard drive activiity..??), but have you tried doing into Preferences and adjusting the Power Management settings?

seeuamit
July 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Ya , It is fan sound. But the situation is Even when I am not performing any thing on Ubuntu, just bootup and leave the system idle, It sounds too much as compared to xp. Why it is like for two different OS Fan speed is so different. Any Solution?

Thanks.

PurposeOfReason
July 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM
They might have different settings for what is okay to idle at. If XP is higher, the fan would turn on later. Here is an old thread, there is probably an easier way now. This does work great though, I use it on my server.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42737

seeuamit
July 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks a lot. :)