PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] iPod 80 GB Video 2nd Gen detected as 18.63 GB

Chauncellor
July 30th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Hey, I posted in the hardware forum, but I don't think that it was the best place and this would probably be better. Sorry if you've already seen this :)

Hi, I've had a recent interest in putting Puppy Linux on my iPod 80 GB Video for mobility purposes. I have Rockbox installed on it. The iPod works just fine as both a music player and a storage device at the moment.

GParted tells me, however, that my device is an unpartitioned 18.63 drive (see screenshot).

Here's my fdisk output:

Disk /dev/sdc: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
84 heads, 62 sectors/track, 7502 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 5208 * 2048 = 10665984 bytes

Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 7502.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Here's what cfdisk tells me:

sdc2 Primary W95 FAT32 19973.69

I'm not sure what I should do.... what's causing it to show up wrong?

Chauncellor
July 31st, 2009, 06:51 AM
Would anyone know a good forum I could ask this question in if nobody knows? This surely is a strange one, indeed. I can't find anything about it through Google.

Chauncellor
July 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Huh. I have access to a Mac machine, and Disk Utility tells me that my ipod is the correct size, though again it says that there is no file system on it.... I can't do it now, but would it change anything if I just got all my files off of it, formatted it to FAT32, and put it on again? (I care nothing about the original iPod crapware, only Rockbox). My question is only if it would be recognized as a 80 GB drive with a format, not if it will affect my programs.

Chauncellor
August 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Okay, I found out the problem: GNU Parted does not support devices with sector sizes more than 512, and thus GParted doesn't either. So, basically, it's a limitation of the program.