PDA

View Full Version : HFS+ support on Windows 7

cartisdm
July 30th, 2009, 02:39 AM
This isn't quite related to these forums, but everyone here at ubuntuforums is always willing to help so I figured I'd give it a shot:

I am trying to find a way to get my 300gb external harddrive to store my media files so I can watch them on my xbox 360 (which doesn't read NTFS). Fat32 can be used but it has a 4gb filesize limit, which on occation becomes a nuisance when using it as a storage unit.

MacDrive 7.0 will allow me to format the harddrive into HFS+, thus getting around the 4gb limit and allow playback on the 360....but Windows 7 apparently doesn't read/write that format.

Does Windows 7/xbox 360 read ext3 or any other available formats? Or can I get it to read HFS+ maybe?

WarmJast
August 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
This doesn't directly answer your question, but I do know that MacDrive 8.x supports Windows 7.

I guess if the MacDrive people have developed a version for Win7, they're not expecting it to have inherent support.

cartisdm
August 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
This doesn't directly answer your question, but I do know that MacDrive 8.x supports Windows 7.

I guess if the MacDrive people have developed a version for Win7, they're not expecting it to have inherent support.

Does that mean that whenever I want to view files or copy files to the hardrive I'm going to have to do it through MacDrive somehow? Or if I get MacDrive 8 and format the harddrive I will be able to use it in My Computer just like any other drive?

WarmJast
August 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM
AFAIK it works the same as Macdrive 7. Install it, then it runs in the background & you can browse HFS+ drives just as easily as NTFS and FAT32.