PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Permission issue with multiple users

sdlyr8
July 30th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Okay so I'm trying this in a different category. Might be a better place to ask....

I have a small website project that a friend and I are working on and it's located on my ubuntu box. I made him a user account and added him to the admin group. I thought I set the right permissions on the files but I guess not because he can only read, and not write. And I can only read but not write to his files (without sudo).

He's using dreamweaver on a windows machine so I can't expect him to be able to sudo, and I would rather not have to either since I use Eclipse mainly.

Starting from scratch... what settings do I need to set in order for us to be able to edit each others files (all in /var/www only) and so that newly created files get permissions that we can both use?

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Probably the easiest way is to put both users in the www-data group and run a script to change the group and permsions of files in /var/www

to root.www-data

permissions 660 for files 770 for directories.

You can use other techniques such as alc or changing your umask values, takes more effort.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-setup-shared-directory/

sdlyr8
July 30th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Thanks for your help! That works.... almost.

Everything works fine when I do it, but then when he goes and creates a file, it gets set to '-rw-r--r--' and I can't edit it. Same goes the other way too. I've played with setting umask to a+rw but nothing seems to work. I tried the link you sent too. Now when a file gets created, it keeps the www-data group. SO.. I guess the only problem I have is needing to change the default permissions when files get created

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Yes, it does not happen automatically.

A better solution is what is called acl or access control lists.

See this thread :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=145741

sdlyr8
July 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for your help! That did it! :)

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
You are most welcome.