PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install and run persistent sdhc 9.04

Rahabib
July 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
sorry I ran a search but didnt find exactly what I found.

so I have the new macbook pro which if I am not mistaken can boot from an sdhc card now.

I have tried and failed the last 3 days trying to make a triple boot system with Ubuntu 9.04 so I figured it may be time to find an alternative - and remembered that now we can boot from the sdhc card.

so assuming I get a fast 16gb sdhc card, can I install it to the sdhc card without rendering my windows volume useless (usual mbr issues)?

Can I make it persistent (ie not a "Live" envirornment)?

I do understand this isnt the fastest method, but I mainly need to have up to date browsers (this macbook is my web development computer) and maybe run LAMP from time to time - so a live cd just wont cut it as I need to update from time to time easily. I think eventually when the process gets a bit easier, and safer, Ill go to a partition but for now this would suit my needs well

Thanks.

Rahabib
July 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Ok, how about with a USB thumbdrive (using rEFIt)? just an external USB drive period?

Still just looking for a quick and reliable persistent Ubuntu method.

pxwpxw
July 31st, 2009, 05:15 AM
Ok, how about with a USB thumbdrive (using rEFIt)? just an external USB drive period?

Still just looking for a quick and reliable persistent Ubuntu method.

We got it worked out finally here, read whole thread, post #11 is for Ubuntu Live Jaunty on MB1,1 - I use without fix_video on MBP41.

Using a Live-USB Distro....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7696173&postcount=11.