PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do I install Xubuntu on a iBook Clamshell?

apple+
July 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hello,How do I install Xubuntu on a PowerPC G3 300Mhz.iBook Clamshell?My CD drive is burnt out and I couldn't get it to install by external CD/DVD drive or USB thumb Drive.Oh my computer is 300Mhz. PowerPC G3 Processor,160MB Ram,and a 3.2GB HD.And I'm running OS 9.2.2 on it right now.

apple+
July 29th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Anyone have any advice at all?

guybrush.d
October 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hi,
My first reply i have a wonderful clamshell indigo prismo 366Mhz with just the cdrom!
My clamshell has a RAM upgrade of 256mb anyway to install xubuntu (i have jaunty)
you have 2 options:

1) Burn the xubuntu iso at low record speed, for me k3b has worked better than nero, to let the internal cdrom read the cd.

2) You can insert an external cdrom (or dvd rom) into the usb and while you turn on the
laptop keep pressed the APPLE Button (the one on the left of the space bar) the ibook
will show you a graphic mený where you can select the recgnized boot device.

Remember to put the cd before the laptop boot up. After you installed linux you will have the option for booting from cdrom directly into the bootloader (yaboot for ppc), in fact you just will have to push the "c" letter on keyboard, that's the ubuntu way!

Last thing the "APPLE mený" works only on a serie of clamshell, i didn't rember but the Apple made three series of clamshell. Hope helped U! Ciao.