PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Dual-Monitor despite hdwr limitations possible?

hagg_k
July 28th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hi all,
Just new to Ubuntu, liking it a lot! so far no big issues. running a wubi with lxde installed.

My laptop video card (on board)
product: VT8605 [ProSavage PM133]
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 100
has a vga output but only as a 'clone' of desktop 1- an exact copy, can't drag windows from one screen to the other, or stretch out the desktop over 2 monitors, which I would love to be able to do.

In windows I was never able to get around this, but I was wondering if it is possible with linux to get around hardware limitations like this? If so ---How?

Also- can one turn a DVD-rom/CD-RW into a DVD-RW/CD-RW? I can read dvd's but "id love to be able to burn them...

Thanks!
Koos

euxneks
July 28th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hi all,
Just new to Ubuntu, liking it a lot! so far no big issues. running a wubi with lxde installed.

My laptop video card (on board)
product: VT8605 [ProSavage PM133]
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 100
has a vga output but only as a 'clone' of desktop 1- an exact copy, can't drag windows from one screen to the other, or stretch out the desktop over 2 monitors, which I would love to be able to do.

In windows I was never able to get around this, but I was wondering if it is possible with linux to get around hardware limitations like this? If so ---How?

Also- can one turn a DVD-rom/CD-RW into a DVD-RW/CD-RW? I can read dvd's but "id love to be able to burn them...

Thanks!
Koos

For the video card - it's usually a limitation of the graphics chip, nothing to do with software, though I think someone else might know more about via chips... Though I doubt you could do dual monitors if it's not already recognized. You might try Via's own drivers though, if they have any.

As for the DVD-Rom thing, no, you cannot magically change it from a DVD-ROM to a DVD-RW, again, that's a hardware limitation :) Sorry.