PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Printing on the command-line

AndyCee
July 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hey peoples.

I've got a USB printer which is my default printer in the Preferences and Administration.

If I type

lpstat -a

I get the printer details. Can someone tell me where the default printer details are kept? I've made the printer available system-wide (in System-Administration). I'm familiar with a Solaris configuration where the default printer is kept in a .printer file in a user's home directory, but this file DNE in mine.

While I'm here, how can I format html, doc or openoffice documents to print on the command line? Can I just use:

lp myfile.doc

and expect it to print? I've just printed 30 blank pages and torn 2 testing lp and lpr print commands...

dlmarti
July 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
lpr document.

argos3016
July 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Hey peoples.

I've got a USB printer which is my default printer in the Preferences and Administration.

If I type

lpstat -aI get the printer details. Can someone tell me where the default printer details are kept? I've made the printer available system-wide (in System-Administration). I'm familiar with a Solaris configuration where the default printer is kept in a .printer file in a user's home directory, but this file DNE in mine.

While I'm here, how can I format html, doc or openoffice documents to print on the command line? Can I just use:

lp myfile.docand expect it to print? I've just printed 30 blank pages and torn 2 testing lp and lpr print commands...
There a command on terminal called man. Type man lpr and maybe you find solution.

AndyCee
July 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
lpr document.

Thanks. I should have figured it would be that simple.

I also found out that print settings are kept in /etc/cups/printers.conf, using "man -k CUPS".

Hoorah!