PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] java

pat boy
July 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
i can don't download java ?? can some one help me do this plz ?

it downloads but can not run as i have no thing to run it look like

Mighty_Joe
July 28th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Can you give us some more information, like exactly what you are attempting to do, exactly what you expect to happen and exactly how what happened differed from your expectations?

pat boy
July 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
i can don't download java ?? can some one help me do this plz ?

it downloads but can not run as i have no thing to run it look like

i am trying to download java to play a onli game called runesacap, but when i down load it it comes up on dest top as a word like thing and will not run at all

baizon
July 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Check this site: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

pat boy
July 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
/home/patrick/Desktop/jre-6u14-linux-x64-rpm.bin
/home/patrick/Desktop/jre-6u14-linux-i586-rpm.bin
this is how they come up when i down load them and they don't work

Mighty_Joe
July 28th, 2009, 01:39 PM
i am trying to download java to play a onli game called runesacap, but when i down load it it comes up on dest top as a word like thing and will not run at all

So you went to the Sun Java site and downloaded the Java runtime? Probably a bad idea.
Follow the link baizon posted. Install the Java runtime with Add/Remove Programs, Synaptic or apt-get then use "sudo update-java-alternatives" to set Sun Java as the default for your system.

pat boy
July 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM
what do you mean by a bad idea ???

Mighty_Joe
July 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
First, as you've discovered, it is difficult to install the binary Java package. Second, installing the binary package can work, but it would not be maintained in the Ubuntu repository, so if a critical bug or exploit were discovered with the version you have, you would not receive a fix via Ubuntu's update feature.
When in doubt, use Add/Remove Programs, Synaptic or apt-get.