PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Caps lock indicator

SunnyRabbiera
July 28th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I guess this is hardware related, not sure but here it goes:
As posted earlier I got this cool very linux compatible mouse and keyboard set:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1224773

The only issue is that there is no indicator for Caps lock, num lock or scroll lock on this keyboard, there is no light on the keyboard for them.
The keyboard came with a disk and no surprise there is nothing installable for linux as the keyboard indicator software is windows only.
So I am in a little pinch here, I have a nasty habit of hitting my caps lock by mistake and well I sort of need to way to see if I hit the caps lock by mistake.
Is there some app I can use to tell me when I hit caps lock by mistake?
I looked up the question and most of the solutions I see are to just disable caps lock.
I have no desire to do this.
I also tried another suggestion I found that said to go to keyboard in the system settings menu, go to accessibility, and get a beep[ when I hit the caps lockl.
But after reboot the beep doesnt work until I set it up again.
I need a third alternative if possible, maybe some sort of indicator in the panel to tell me if I hit caps lock by mistake.

aamr
December 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM
This is already implemented in Ubuntu: "sudo apt-get install lock-keys-applet", for more information you can visit my blog: http://mytechnicalthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/12/capslock-indicator-in-ubuntu.html

K-Sub
May 2nd, 2010, 11:55 AM
Hi, I had this running on my netbook under 8.04. I just installed 10.04 netbook remix. Everything tells me that the app is installed, but I don't see it in my panel. Also, in this version of Ubuntu I seem to be locked out of making changes to my panel. Any thoughts on either issue? Thank you.

Benchamoneh
May 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Although installed it's not added by default. You need to right-click the panel and select 'Add to Panel', then find the Lock Keys applet and click add.

akshay2000
July 18th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Hello, people! I do have LED on my Dell XPS 14 but not on the Logitech wireless keyboard. (Of course, no LEDs for caps, scroll, num!) When I use Caps Lock key on the keyboard in Windows, the LED on my laptop glows. But, in Ubuntu, there is no LED for toggle of caps lock. Do I need any driver thing to make it work?

Pogo1
July 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Although installed it's not added by default. You need to right-click the panel and select 'Add to Panel', then find the Lock Keys applet and click add.

Don't bother on NBR. You can't modify the panel. Right click gives greyed out menus. You can't add or delete anything.