PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Google "worn torn opressed"

Eviltechie
July 27th, 2009, 09:40 PM
It will lead you to a plethora of those fake antivirus scanners.

It's particularly bad because google is holding a quiz/contest thing, and they want you to find out what poem that is from, so people will no doubt be googling it and getting viruses.

philcamlin
July 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
thanks for the heads up :popcorn:

ubuntu wont be affected though :D

HappinessNow
July 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Do Not Google "worn torn opressed"

Would the results be filled with less undesirables if your search term was spelled correctly?

"worn torn oppressed" as opposed to "worn torn opressed"

Eviltechie
July 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Would the results be filled with less undesirables if your search term was spelled correctly?

"worn torn oppressed" as opposed to "worn torn opressed"

Whoops, but yes, the correct spelling will give you nasty sites.

Bungo Pony
July 27th, 2009, 11:07 PM
That was pretty cool. Opera showed by drives and folders just like Windows XP does! And I have 103 trojans in 'My Documents'. Didn't know I had a 'My Documents' folder in Xubuntu!

Giant Speck
July 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I have the Web of Trust plugin installed in Firefox. I think I'll be fine.

Ericj1186
July 27th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Is NoScript worth getting under Ubuntu? I haven't run into anything as of yet, but I do feel weird surfing without it.

Giant Speck
July 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Is NoScript worth getting under Ubuntu? I haven't run into anything as of yet, but I do feel weird surfing without it.

Do you use it in another operating system or something? If so, it should be the same NoScript and should work fine.

jprophet420
July 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
That was pretty cool. Opera showed by drives and folders just like Windows XP does! And I have 103 trojans in 'My Documents'. Didn't know I had a 'My Documents' folder in Xubuntu!

I about rofl'd out the door the first time I was informed by an 'online virus scanner' that I had a win32 virus.

Thanks for the heads up.

DoktorSeven
July 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM

You better believe it. I can't use a browser without NoScript anymore.

mamamia88
July 27th, 2009, 11:43 PM
i googled it and nothing happened. first link was to this thread

HappinessNow
July 28th, 2009, 12:11 AM
i googled it and nothing happened. first link was to this threadSame results here. :P

darco
July 28th, 2009, 12:18 AM
You better believe it. I can't use a browser without NoScript anymore.

I didnt think there were any scripts that could harm a Linux user? I use no-script only when in Windows....only add-on I use for both are ad-blockers :)

darco

MikeTheC
July 28th, 2009, 03:39 AM
But what if I search for Raymond Luxury Yacht instead?

CJ Master
July 28th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I didnt think there were any scripts that could harm a Linux user? I use no-script only when in Windows....only add-on I use for both are ad-blockers :)

darco

Exploits will always be found, and considering that firefox isn't its own user, well that's just playing with fire.

SirBismuth
July 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
LOL, I temporarily enabled the scripts to see what happens, and apparently I have all these viruses, in folders and drives that DO NOT EXIST! :D

B

lisati
July 28th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I did a double take the first time I had an xp-themed popup appear - had I mistakenly booted into XP? When my good humour returned it was LOL

littlemog
July 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I did a double take the first time I had an xp-themed popup appear - had I mistakenly booted into XP?

happens to me still... gotta get the xp stuff outta my brain :D